Problem with Guide button crashing Xbox360 Apps

Monkey Targets Forums/XNA/Problem with Guide button crashing Xbox360 Apps

Axeman(Posted 2014) [#1]
Has anyone seen this or resolved this problem. It doesn't seem to matter what I compile, whether it is any of the monkey samples or my code. If you compile and deploy to an Xbox 360 and while the game/app is running you press the "Guide" button on the controller everything just freezes.
You need a "hard reset" to get you out of the problem.
Just had my game rejected because of this and I don't see how you can compile to XNA and deploy to the Xbox if every app/game has this problem.
Basically the Xbox360 target is unusable.
Yes I know I am a bit late to the market for Xbox360 stuff but it would still be nice if I could publish to the platform.

So, anybody got any helpful hints or tips for me ? please ?

Raz(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hi Axeman, what happens when you press the guide button when running it for windows?

I haven't got an xbox controller to hand at the moment, so I can't really test it myself.

What happens if you add the following line to the generated code (near the other "using" lines?

using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices

Axeman(Posted 2014) [#3]
Hi,
Thanks for replying.
Running the windows version, the guide button does nothing. The Gamerservices line is already there.

using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices;

Did you have to do anything "additional" to your generated code to get your Ninjah through the peer review? I find that even if I generate a very basic monkey app and deploy to xbox it still crashes with the guide button. Really annoying. It's one of those things, it doesn't matter too much that I can't get it on xbox, but because I can't..... I find I want to fix the problem and deploy it all the more!

Raz(Posted 2014) [#4]
When I first got Ninjah working, I actually had to do quite a bit of tweaking (more to do with loading data than anything) because Monkey really wasn't suitable for it at the time (very much a different story now except for... you know, this!). I didn't have to do any tweaking in relation to the Guide button though so something must have changed.

Deploy a debug build to the Xbox via visual studio and see if it returns any output when it crashes?

I had a quick look at Monkey produced C# code but I can't see any specific reference to the guide button. I'm sorry I'm at a loss at the moment and can't really help test anything at the minute!

Axeman(Posted 2014) [#5]
Hmm... I had another go last night and it still died. The thing is, it completely freezes the xbox so you have to do a hard reset.
Can you remember what version monkey & visual studio you used?
I don't think there is any actual code for the guide button and i dont think you can check for it. I am led to believe it is handled like ctrl-alt-del would be handled on the PC.

p.

Axeman(Posted 2014) [#6]
Been doing more testing.
Compiled a simple rectangle in the middle of the screen app on the following monkey versions.
The Guide button works up until 72b then fails for each version after that. Just need to work out what the difference was between 72b and 73b.

Monkey 53 - Guide button works
Monkey 54c - Guide button works
Monkey 55 - Guide button works
Monkey 56b - Guide button works
Monkey 58 - Guide button works
Monkey 59 - Guide button works
Monkey 65 - Guide button works
Monkey 70g - Guide button works
Monkey 71c - Guide button works
Monkey 72b- Guide button works
Monkey 73b - Guide button fails
Monkey 74a - Guide button fails

Axeman(Posted 2014) [#7]
Looks like it was this line of code that was freezing the Xbox upon pressing the Guide Button.

#MOJO_AUTO_SUSPEND_ENABLED=True

If this is set to True, the xbox freezes needing a hard reset.
Setting this to False, the xbox brings up the guide popup as usual, no problems.

Not sure if it causes other problems with setting it to false, looks like that may have been the change between 72b and 73b

Has allowed me to re-submit to xbox indie peer review again though.

Raz(Posted 2014) [#8]
Wow, that's some thorough testing you've done there! Well done for sorting it out :)

Good luck with the peer review, I hope it passes quickly!