Thoughts on using Monkey for a XNA project again

Monkey Targets Forums/XNA/Thoughts on using Monkey for a XNA project again

Raz(Posted 2012) [#1]
A while a go I wrote an article saying that I couldn't honestly recommend using Monkey for an XNA project because of a series of listed problems. I mentioned that I imagine they will be fixed eventually and this has been the case!

So, it was only fair that I revisited the problems I had and wrote an updated article.

http://chrismingay.co.uk/blog/2012/04/using-monkey-for-a-xna-xbox-project-revisit/

Aman(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hey raz, good article and great game you have there by the way.

I was wondering about the limitation of Xbox indie games. For example, is it possible for an indie game to support online multiplayer mode through the internet?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks Aman :)

If coded directly in C#/XNA, yes it's possible to do online multiplayer. However via a Monkey game it is not currently possible.

As for other limitations..
Package size is limited to 500Mb
Can't use additional dlls (for example, ideally I wanted to play Music Modules with bass.dll, but it's not possible).
Can't upload content (e.g. level sharing)
There is a kind of high score system, but it's very much a hack and not official (I don't know the details, but I think it kind of exploits the player matchmaking to send information between random people).
No achievements (yet! rumour has it, this might change)

Aman(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks. Do you mind me asking why didn't you port Ninjah to Desktop platforms?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#5]
I've basically got a PC version of the game there too and with a few edits it'd be ready except for a music issue.

I licensed the music and I am worried about releasing it for PC because XNA doesn't encrypt the music files at all (so basically there are 5 WMA files just sitting there with the executable). I guess I could speak with the artists who made the music to check if this is ok, but I haven't yet.