Unable to change screen resolution to 720p

Monkey Targets Forums/XNA/Unable to change screen resolution to 720p

visionastral(Posted 2011) [#1]
(FIXED)

Hello, I have just started today with monkey and I was trying to build for XNA in order to make some indie game for xbox360.
The default XNA application made by monkey has a 640x480 resolution, I have changed the program.cs source code in visual C# in order to make 1280x720 games, but monkey just seems to ignore the changes and still makes 640x480 builds...
I have surely miss something. Here are the changes I made to the program.cs code in the XNA project. (clicked SAVE ALL and is still changed once I reopen it)

public class MonkeyConfig{
#if WINDOWS
public const int WINDOW_WIDTH=1280;
public const int WINDOW_HEIGHT=720;
public const bool WINDOW_RESIZABLE=false;
public const bool WINDOW_FULLSCREEN=false;
#elif XBOX
public const int WINDOW_WIDTH=1280;
public const int WINDOW_HEIGHT=720;
public const bool WINDOW_FULLSCREEN=true;
#elif WINDOWS_PHONE
public const int WINDOW_WIDTH=640;
public const int WINDOW_HEIGHT=480;
public const bool WINDOW_FULLSCREEN=true;
#endif
}

(by the way, changing the windows_phone res didn't change anything. I tryied just in case.)

visionastral(Posted 2011) [#2]
Ok, I found the issue.
It seems related to the visual c# compiler.
Only games that have been built for the first time are in 1280x720 now.
The ones I already compiled before making the res changes still build a 640x480 app...

Anybody knows how to force a full rebuild from the c# compiler?

visionastral(Posted 2011) [#3]
Ok, found it:
you have to delete the "YourAppNameHere.build\XNA" folder in order to force the c# to fully rebuild it.

Posted in case someone has the same issue one day.

visionastral(Posted 2011) [#4]
By the way, be careful using any other screen res than 1280x720 or 640x480 with xbox360, since hardware resizing for not compatible TVs is not granted outside those 2 resolutions!
If you want to make a 1080p game, you will have to manage manually the case were someone doesn't have a fullHD TV or even has an SD-TV (480i).

Thus, using the 1280x720 (720p) screen definition is recommended by microsoft XNA creators club as a "good practice". (since the xbox will automagically downsample to 480i if there is no other screen resolutions available)