Testing for Windows 7 phone

Monkey Targets Forums/XNA/Testing for Windows 7 phone

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

I know what's necessary to test a build for Android (just using the APK file) and iPhone.

As I don't own a Windows 7 mobile phone: What do I need to test it on a Windows 7 phone. If someone has one, what does he need? Is there something like the apk file for Android which is just installed?

Any volunteers here if I have something to test? :D

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#2]
If you install VS2010 for Windows Phone (see the XNA/WP7 Dev site), you can run your app in the emulator (runs very well apparently). You will need Vista or Seven with a WDDM 1.1 Driver model video card (open dxdiag to see).

My 2 computers here have 1.0 and I've yet to get a dev account to run directly on the phone - hopefully soon.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks dopeyrulz! I have installed everything so far.

So here's what I'm doing:

I select "XNA" as target and compile it. Everything runs through. So far so good!

Now I have a build/xna/ folder which contains:

MonkeyGame
XBox360Game1

I guess I have to proceed with MonkeyGame?

There I have 2 folders:

MonkeyGame
MonkeyGameContent

If I go into MonkeyGame again I have 3 project files:

Xbox 360 Copy of MonkeyGame.csproj
Windows Phone Copy of MonkeyGame.csproj
MonkeyGame.csproj

I guess I have to choose the second one for VS2010?

Am I right so far? Because here the problems start.

After opening the project I get some warning that "the referenced component 'MonkeyGameContent' could not be found."

I can open the file "Program.cs" from the solution explorer then. "Windows Phone 7 Emulator" is selected as default:

If I press compile I get several warnings and one error:

So I guess I've done something terribly wrong here. ;) Any help is very appreciated! Thanks!

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#4]
It looks like you've just loaded the WP7 project above?

Mark removed the included WP7 project as it wouldn't compile for XP users. To get it back you need to do the following (which you may have already done!):

* Open the MonkeyGame solutions
* From the Solution Explorer, highlight on the MonkeyGame Project, right-click and from the popup menu select 'Create Copy of Project for Windows Phone.
* Click save all and your done.

To deploy to the emulator or phone, highlight the Windows Phone Copy of MonkeyGame, right-click and from the popup menu select 'Set as Startup Project'.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks Matt, this worked!

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#6]
Nice - does that launch the emulator as well?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#7]
Not yet. I just built the project with Monkey and did the launch with VS2010.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#8]
Ah ok - thought that might be the case.

Hima(Posted 2011) [#9]
This is very neat! I didn't know that you can do this with XNA project. Gotta download XNA soon then :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#10]
Boy I would like to try this, but I do not see "Windows Phone Copy of MonkeyGame.csproj" Does Monkey still make it or I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#11]
Hi,

Read Matt's post above, esp:

* From the Solution Explorer, highlight on the MonkeyGame Project, right-click and from the popup menu select 'Create Copy of Project for Windows Phone.

You can also create a copy for xbox360.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#12]
Yeah - works great on the Xbox! Can't wait to try my phone too!

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#13]
My display does not meet the spec's for WP7. Is it possible to "Reach" lesser (non-DX10 I guess) hardware as Monkey's done for XNA?

L8r,

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#14]
I have the same problem with the emulator which is annoying because apparently it works quite well and is hardware accelerated - you need a WDDM? 1.1 compatible video card for XNA stuff (Silverlight apps will work on anything). You can check this via dxdiag.

I just signed up for the dev account so will be able to run against the hardware directly shortly.

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#15]
I have a WDDM 1.0 card, but XNA (using Monkey) originally would not work on these cards, Mark used a "Reach" option to enable this kind of hardware to work with XNA. I was wondering if it was possible to do this with WP7?

L8r,

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#16]
Richard,

no the emulator itself must have a 1.1 capable card to render and display XNA stuff (as noted for silverlight this is not a requirement and will work with most cards).

The Reach stuff I believe is for something else??

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#17]
Sorry to bring up an old topic but where can I find out if my card supports WDDM 1.1? I cannot see it mentioned in dxdiag. (I`m using Vista BTW)

Also is it possible to make XNA builds run on Windows (if so how?) or do you need an XBox? Sorry if this is a stupid question but it is all new to me.

Jason.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#18]

Also is it possible to make XNA builds run on Windows

Yeah, just follow the XNA target guide in the docs. It takes a little while before it launches from Monk after building.

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#19]
OK, got it now. All running good.

Just another quick question, would the Windows phone emulator run if my card didn`t support WDDM 1.1? I cannot seem to find out whether it does support it or not, Vistas dxdiag doesn`t seem to mention it unless that itself means that my card doesn`t support it. I`m using a Geforce 9800GTX+ if that helps?

Jason.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#20]
I'm on Windows 7, and in DXDiag it tells me on the Display tab, on the right-hand side, that I have WDDM 1.1.

[Later... ]

Hmm, after a little Googling, it looks like version 1.1 is Windows 7+ only... :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#WDDM_1.1

EDIT: Hang on, in that same article it says: "WDDM 1.1 drivers are backward compatible with WDDM 1.0 specification; both 1.0 and 1.1 drivers can be used in Windows Vista with or without the Platform Update".

Whether that means it's Vista-compatible or not, I've no idea...

FURTHER EDIT:

The official Windows Phone Developer Tools requirements state:

System requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista

Windows® Vista® (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 – all editions except Starter Edition
Windows 7 (x86 and x64) – all editions except Starter Edition

Installation requires 3 GB of free disk space on the system drive.
2 GB RAM
Windows Phone Emulator requires a DirectX 10 capable graphics card with a WDDM 1.1 driver

I think it basically comes down to whether the graphics card drivers support 1.1 on Vista.

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#21]
Thanks James for taking the time to write. I did read the wiki article but I got confused by it too which was why I asked.

Jason.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#22]
As I don't have a Windows 7 phone can I rely on the emulator? I mean if it runs well on the emulator will there be problems on real devices?

Is there anyone out there would test my apps on Windows 7 phone as Beta tester? :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#23]
Alright, just bought one. :D So I'm in the lucky position to test all 3 platforms now. :)