XNA - Game Profile (Graphics)

Monkey Targets Forums/XNA/XNA - Game Profile (Graphics)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

in XNA you can select 'Use Reach to access a limited API set supported by Windows Phone, Xbox 360....' and another one saying 'Use HiDef to access the complete API'

is there any way to make the Monkey build use the 'Reach' one? (not the biggest deal if not, because I can change it myself at XNA build time)

Thanks
-Chris

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi,

Never heard of 'Reach' - how do I enable it?

But is it really necessary? The API used by mojo should be pretty minimal and work everywhere - if not, it needs to be fixed. Is this what Reach helps with?

Raz(Posted 2011) [#3]
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/07/19/selecting-reach-vs-hidef.aspx

It's a simpler graphics API.

Again, I was just wondering, it's not important. On my low spec laptop with a built in Intel graphics card, I have to select 'Reach' else I cannot test my xbox game on the laptop itself.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi,

Cool, I'll look at enabling that.

Note that 'template projects' in the targets dir are very much up for tweaking, so if anyone has any ideas for useful tweaks like this to ANY of the project in 'targets', please let me know.

Note that the targets dir should still be considered primarily 'read only' - it's the template used to create new, empty projects so you don't want to be constantly messing with it. If you want to make custom, one-off tweaks to target projects, you should tweak the copy in the '.build' dir instead.

Hopefully this will start making sense to everyone soon!

Raz(Posted 2011) [#5]
Cheers Mark and congratulations :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#6]
That's cool. I wonder if this would allow for non-DX10 video cards to dev in XNA?

Raz(Posted 2011) [#7]
It should Richard because I've been doing that for my xna dev for a while now on my old laptop

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#8]
Mark,

More info here about the differences:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/03/12/reach-vs-hidef.aspx

I'm still having a play at the moment, but is it possible to provide targets for both Xbox and WP7?

I'll see what I need to do to get this going initially and report back.

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#9]
@Raz

Well that would be cool. I could not get XNA to work with my DX9 Nvida card. If Mark supports this I would love it.

BTW, What version of XNA Game Studio are you using? 4.0 is where the DX10 issue comes into play.

L8r,

Raz(Posted 2011) [#10]
Hiya Richard,

I am using version 4 and am able to test on my laptop with an Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics card.

Ta
-Chris

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#11]
I'd like targets for all 3: XNA PC, WinPhone7 and Xbox, if possible. But I'm pretty sure that it will come, eventually :D

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#12]
@Raz

So your able to compile and run on your laptop? With a DX9 card? If so I'm sold:)

L8r,

Raz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Richard,

yeah when coded in XNA alone. :) I am yet to run an app coded with Monkey and built for XNA though.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#14]
Hi,

> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/03/12/reach-vs-hidef.aspx

I think Reach should be the default...

> is it possible to provide targets for both Xbox and WP7?

Is that necessary? I thought XNA projects automatically created 'subprojects' for xbox/wp7, so it all stayed as one project anyway?

Note: I've had stuff going on the xbox360, but not on wp7 as yet.

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#15]
>I think Reach should be the default...

Agreed. Would love to see Monkey use this method.

L8r,