How to implement Win Phone Angel Libs openGL?

Monkey Targets Forums/Windows 8/How to implement Win Phone Angel Libs openGL?

Manux(Posted April) [#1]
Hello

I have some questions regarding how i will get my game to Windows 8 Phone.
First the general process is not clear for me.

But most importantly:

I use OpenGL 2.0 and i compiled the angel Libs but how do i actually build the Windows 8 phone binary with the angel libs as a wrapper for openGL ?

How do they get integrated into Monkey ?

What target do i use for Win 8 Phone games ?

Thanks a lot!

SLotman(Posted April) [#2]
There is no OpenGL on Windows Phone 8. WP8 uses Direct-X. There is a WinRT target, which is for WP8+

Manux(Posted April) [#3]
Hi

I know that Windows Phone does not support OpenGL. Henche the angel Libs.

From the readme:

"ANGLE allows Windows users to seamlessly run OpenGL ES content by efficiently translating OpenGL ES API into DirectX 11 API calls."
-> https://github.com/Microsoft/angle

Does the WinRT Target use the Angel libs to run OpenGL2.0 ? Please note that i do not use standart monkey but instead open GL ES directly.

Any clarification welcome. Also I did not use Windows for the last 15 years. How would i go about to build for the WinRT target ?

Thanks a lot!

SLotman(Posted May) [#4]
Angle is for Windows on DESKTOP. Not for mobile OS.

skid(Posted May) [#5]
From Manux's link:

This repository is maintained by Microsoft to support the use of ANGLE by Windows Store app developers. It contains several branches:

ms-master - for Universal Windows 10 apps (UWP) and desktop apps
ms-win8.1 - for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 apps
ms-holographic-experimental - for experimental HoloLens support

So yes, ANGLE can be used on Windows 8 Phone but such usage is not supported with current Monkey-X target.

IMHO it would be easier to convert your app to use the DirectX11 device initialised by the Monkey-X Win8Phone target than build a new Monkey-X Win8Phone target that uses Angle.

Ferdi(Posted May) [#6]
Ok I am just going to throw this out there, probably will be too slow, but it is another way to build Open GL ES 2 into Windows Phone.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08-R0dpdh5M (12:24)

So compile to HTML5 in Monkey and try following the steps in that video to get it into Windows Phone.

NOTE: If you do it this way, you CAN NOT use MonkeyStore. So probably only for paid apps only.

Manux(Posted May) [#7]
@Skid,

How would i convert the app ? As i use openGL. Do you mean i will have to rewrite the code to Direct x so monkey can build an Windows RT target ?

OR do i just need to compile the Windows RT target in monkey ?

@ Fredi,

HTML5 target is broken at the moment for my project. But thanks it alsways good to have options on hand :-)

SLotman(Posted May) [#8]
Since you use OpenGL yourself, yes, there is no other way besides converting calls to Direct-X AFAIK.
If you use the mojo library, you wouldn't have to do anything - just recompile in the desired target and everything would work.