Phone : OK, Now What?

Monkey Targets Forums/Windows 8/Phone : OK, Now What?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#1]
Blinkin' Eck!
I honestly thought trying to navigate XCode to tweak iOS releases was a pain in my neck, but I wasn't prepared for this!!

So, I downloaded Visual Studio Express 2013 (or something resembling a vague title that was something like that! You can never tell with Microsoft, they rebrand things every other week!)

I clicked Monkey's "Big Obvious Easy to follow" Build button, and then opened up the .build/Win8_Phone folder, only to die of shock from the utter disgraceful mess of insanity that greeted me.

I took a stab in the dark, and tried double clicking "MonkeyGame.PhoneComponent.vcxproj", then was greeted by the most emo-looking IDE I've ever encountered.

I stumbled my way through a few random clicks, and managed to get the thing set to "Arm Target", and somehow (don't ask me how!) actually managed to get my game onto my phone (Lumia 1020).
Bravo!

Next, I tried a different game (I have many to choose from), and tried to rename the project, but this is where I started to lose my ability to understand whatever it is that Microsoft thinks people should be able to do, easily.
(eg, this is where I start to go slightly more bald)

Project A and Project B both have the same set of data. Same save file, same title, same icon, same everything. Essentially Project B is overwriting Project A.
I'm not sure what settings or files or whatever I oughta be tweaking, in order to make A be A, and B be B.

If someone could describe what bits and pieces I should be tweaking, and guide me through this next step, that would be great.
Thanks for any/all advice.

(Oh, and additionally : Can't figure out how to set Landscape/Portrait settings, either. Hopefully I CAN do that!!!?)

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hi, it is fairly easy when you know where to look, just open the .sln (Solution) that Monkey creates and then as Windows Phone is now on 8.1, right click and Select retarget to 8.1 (make sure your phone is running 8.1) in the Visual Studio solution explorer, then you can change portrait/landscape in the MainPage.xaml, you can change your project name/icons in WMAppManifest.xml.
Each project needs a unique Product ID otherwise it will overwrite any existing app with the same Product ID, you get you actual Product ID and Publisher ID when you create an app on the store, this info goes in WMAppManifest.xml also.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#3]
Oh dear, it sounds like it might be a teensy bit complicated to fit into my usual weekly schedule..
Still, practice makes perfect, I guess.

Thanks for the advice. I'll attempt to go bald again, in the morning ;)

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#4]
Lol, and people always complain about XCode.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#5]
I bought a Lumia 625 not so long ago, which is now back in it's box, somewhere in the kitchen, until I can be arsed to put it on eBay.

I didn't even get as far as any development on it - I gave up at the point where I surmised that the OS had been designed by a sado-masochistic Nazi cannibal Apple fanboy, suffering from extreme bouts of paranoia and therefore hates the world and everything in it, and wishes to cause as much pain and suffering to humanity as is possible.

"Hmm... how shall we design this new mobile OS, then"?

"I know, let's just put everything in a massive randomly-ordered list and make it look as plain and as sh*t as possible".

"People will buy that"?

"Yes, if we tell them to".

(or something like that).

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#6]
Indeed. I'm glad that I bought my Lumia 1020 primarily for use as a camera, and have many other devices to use for communication, and App Consumption..
Because if this was all I had, I'd probably be shouting at it, daily.
It's truly one of the worst OSs I've ever had to contend with.

It's a really great camera, 41megapixels, optical stabilisation. Marvellous.. But .. Eeeek!! I'm glad it's not my phone!!!

GfK(Posted 2014) [#7]
What sort of world are we living in, though, when someone wants to buy a really great camera, so they go and buy a phone?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#8]
To be fair, if I didn't also want to "attempt" WinPhone dev, I'd've gone for "just a camera", but this killed two birds with one stone.
... Just a shame it's so awful, or it might've been a good phone, too!

Corum(Posted 2014) [#9]
After the latest Update to ios 8.1 I threw my iPhone 5 out of the Window and welcomed a Lumia 735 with Windows Phone 8.1
Couldn't be happier.
I know, An ios addicted fanboy cannot escape from the narrowed thinkering apple injected into His lazy brain.
I know, it's so hard to transfer by Bluetooth. So terribile to load An mp3 or a ringtone Stored on whatever pc or smartphone, when you could install iVirus (latest version please) instead, being forced to have a single music library, and prompted for a total deletion of it when you just wanna add a single mp3 from a different pc. :)
Programming wp 8.1 is a pain?!?
Come on guys. Be serious and open your minds. :)