Can't build in Visual Studio Express 2013

Monkey Targets Forums/Windows 8/Can't build in Visual Studio Express 2013

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#1]
I'm running Win8.1 and VS Express 2013 (both freshly installed).

When I try building my project with Monkey, here's what I get back - not all of it, just the main error;

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets(42,5): error MSB8020: The builds tools for Visual Studio 2010 (Platform Toolset = 'v100') cannot be found. To build using the v100 build tools, either click the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then select "Update VC++ Projects...". Install Visual Studio 2010 to build using the Visual Studio 2010 build tools. [Z:\Monkey\Learning\mlwm\mlwm.buildv78h\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]

In the IDE, under the solution explorer, it simply says;
"This project is incompatible with the current edition of Visual Studio"

The right-click menu option the error suggests I try doesn't exist. What else can I try?

Thanks,
Lindsay

pantson(Posted 2014) [#2]
I had that... still not fully working in VS2013 and 8.1 for me, but I had stuff compiling.

One solution that was working for me yesterday...
In VS2103, right click your project(s) in the Solution Explorer and select Retarget (or something like that, I'm not at my dev machine)
You may have to retarget both normal and phone branches.

Unfortunately I re-installed everything and now cant retarget my projects and cant get things compiling now
You may be at this stage ;-)

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#3]
Pantson: sounds like we're at exactly the same point.

I'm wondering if I can find a version of VS2010 to download, but then I don't understand how it would build for Windows Phone 8 as it predates it by a few years .. ??

pantson(Posted 2014) [#4]
nah VS2012 for Windows 8, VS2013 for 8.1
(and I think only VS2013 is available for download)

I have a night off from family tonight, so will have another bash at getting it working inbetween getting my lego out ;-)

"but it says 8-14 years on the box"
"that's only a guide. They have to put that on there"
- Lego Movie

dragon(Posted 2014) [#5]
vs2010
http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#DownloadFamilies_4

you can also download a DVD ISO from MS
But warning: i was not able to install something from this dvd

I used web installer instead

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#6]
Looks like some changes have been made after the old build process was depreciated in 2012 and removed in 2013:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/07/24/msbuild-is-now-part-of-visual-studio.aspx

I can build it in VS 2013 but not under Ted or Jungle here once I change the reference to 2013 (click on project name -> properties -> configuration properties -> general -> platform toolset -> Visual Studio 2013 (v120)).

Maybe some references need updating?? will investigate.

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#7]
click on project name -> properties -> configuration properties -> general -> platform toolset -> Visual Studio 2013 (v120))

@dopeyrulz: I can't even get that far ...

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#8]
Lindsay,
You need to select the project (MonkeyGame in the tree above - although you image shows it hasn't loaded?).

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#9]
Yeah, the project as created by Monkey won't even open.

I'm going to try downloading VS2010 and see where I can go from there.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#10]
I think this is going to require a different build chain to 2010/2012. Noted in the above link relating to MSBuild there is difference paths now:
On 32-bit machines they can be found in: C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin
On 64-bit machines the 32-bit tools will be under: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin

I've updated the config.winnt.txt to point to the program files folder ${PROGRAMFILES}\MSBuild\12.0\bin\MSBuild.exe but a new problem relating to the path not being quoted appears(as program files contains a space meaning the path must be quoted). I built a custom trans to do this but still getting an error relating to the build tools (v120) not being available.

So for now if you are building a desktop app - get MingW (Ziggys new tool in Jungle installed it very quickly). AS for Metro/Phone it appears they also need some work after upgrading those to 8.1 and building there are so old <Import> references back to v110 which I can't find?? (not familiar with c++ just .net). Again builds OK in VS directly.

Leginus(Posted 2014) [#11]
I had this issue and it was due to a windows update which buggered up visual studio. The reason that your project isn't loading properly is that it isn't loading in the dependencies that the project needed, which it would have done before the update and given you a message box to say that it was loading dependencies.

I reinstalled visual studio and it fixed it for me. You should then get your project properties dialog box correctly
Hope it fixes your issue.