WP8, where are we at?

Monkey Targets Forums/Windows 8/WP8, where are we at?

FDL(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm about to start porting a monkey project from Android to WP8.

How far along is WP8? Are all the major modules working? Anything I should be specially careful with? Pitfalls?

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Landon(Posted 2013) [#2]
i wish mnet had a windows/wp8 target :/ i haven't found a suitable replacement. that's the only thing so far i need to port to windows 8

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#3]
I never though someone would really use MNet. :o

And now as there are Sockets and HTTP stuff done by Mark I just saw no need for this anymore!

Shockblast(Posted 2014) [#4]
I am also planning to port my projects to Windows Phone 8, I'm downloading the SDK right now. Are there any particular things and quirks I need to keep in mind while doing this? Are there core modules that are not implemented yet? Or is it as straighforward as HTML5, GLFW, Android and IOS??

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#5]
@Shockblast
Off the top of my head there should be nothing missing in comparison to Android and iOS - although advertising modules may be limited.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#6]
Well... anyone knows how to lock the landscape mode?

Edit: Found it. Open the MainPage.xaml and change:

SupportedOrientations="Landscape" Orientation="Landscape"

Shockblast(Posted 2014) [#7]
Do you guys happen to know what's the best way to do debugging for WP8? I deployed my game on my phone by opening the solution file outputted by Monkey and then rebuilding and running it in Visual Studio. The game doesn't start and seems to crash when trying to open it, I have no idea why though. Would be great if there is a log or something or an indication where it crashes. I am relatively inexperienced with visual studio, so that might contribute to the problem.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2014) [#8]
You could try and build in Desktop mode as this will allow you to debug the app within the IDE - hopefully that will produce the error for you. Once all going well then try compiling to the phone again. Is strange that it won't run via VS though...

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#9]
If it crashes during startup it's very probably because of a png or jpeg image which could not be loaded. Per default exceptions are not caught for the native build so you must enable them (will dig through it and post a screenshot).

WP8 is very very picky when it comes to images. It runs on all other platforms but not WP8. I posted a bug about this here: http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=7850

Shockblast(Posted 2014) [#10]
I haven't tried running it in Desktop mode but I found the problem, it is similar to what Xaron has said. I was loading up aac and then mp3 audio files, but it only accepts wav audio files which I eventually found out by looking at the CONFIG file in the target folder.

So problem fixed and I got my game up and running on the emulators and my phone. Now I am going to see how I can incorporate the Microsoft Advertising SDK into it and see what extra files I need before I can publish the app. Thanks for the help everyone!