Several Error!

Monkey Targets Forums/Windows 8/Several Error!

Amon(Posted 2013) [#1]
I get several errors with my built Windows 8 Test App. I'm using diddy.

When I build and then deploy, I run it, it works fine until I hit escape. Then I get an exception...

Unhandled exception at 0x510273B3 (msvcr110d.dll) in MonkeyGame.exe: An invalid parameter was passed to a function that considers invalid parameters fatal.

'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'G:\Monkey\Windows 8 Builds\win8\Debug\MonkeyGame\AppX\MonkeyGame.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XAudio2_8.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfplat.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfreadwrite.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00.Debug_11.0.51106.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vccorlib110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00.Debug_11.0.51106.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00.Debug_11.0.51106.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcr110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxgi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ksuser.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x1c54 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\twinapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WinTypes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptsp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rsaenh.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.UI.Immersive.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dui70.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.UI.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ninput.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.Graphics.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxgidebug.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\aticfx32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiuxpag.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll'
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atidxx32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11_1sdklayers.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dcomp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.ApplicationModel.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\propsys.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsCodecs.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MMDevAPI.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AudioSes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'MonkeyGame.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MFMediaEngine.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x1c78 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
First-chance exception at 0x773E4B32 in MonkeyGame.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: BBExitApp at memory location 0x029DE4EB.
First-chance exception at 0x773E4B32 in MonkeyGame.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: BBExitApp at memory location 0x029DE4EB.
Unhandled exception at 0x510273B3 (msvcr110d.dll) in MonkeyGame.exe: An invalid parameter was passed to a function that considers invalid parameters fatal.
The program '[5116] MonkeyGame.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
make sure you have:
- the win8 sdk
- the vs2012 install

Amon(Posted 2013) [#3]
I have both installed.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#4]
I'm having problems too. When I quit my game (With Error ""), I got the following:

msvcr110d.dll!_invoke_watson(const wchar_t * pszExpression, const wchar_t * pszFunction, 
const wchar_t * pszFile, unsigned int nLine, unsigned int pReserved) Line 131	C++
 vccorlib110d.dll!__abi_FailFast() Line 18	C++
 MonkeyGame.exe!Win8Game::[Windows::ApplicationModel::Core::IFrameworkView]::
__abi_Windows_ApplicationModel_Core_IFrameworkView____abi_Run()	C++

This was copied from the stack trace.

EDIT: just found out that if I just close the game by dragging from top to bottom, there is no crash. The problem above only happens when I call Error ""!

Amon(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hi! Yeah this seems to happen also when I quit my game. I'm using diddy and navigating screens is ok but when I press escape to quit the game I get masses of errors.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#6]
win8 is not really suppose to "close" an app.
Mark mentioned this somewhere, perhaps in the monkey v70c thread.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#7]
I looked at that thread, and he mentions EndApp() as something that could be used... but calling that gives me the exact same error :/

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#8]
On Win8, EndApp (or Error "") can only be called inside OnBack (or anything called by OnBack). Please see OnBack/EndApp in docs.

Yes, this sucks a bit, and if I find a way to hack around it I'll be sure to add it...but for now, this is How It Must Be Done on win8.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks, got it working fine now!

[edit] Not with diddy though! It seems diddy isn't following what you mentioned, mark!

Amon(Posted 2013) [#10]
Update....

After a recent thread in the bugreports forum I created a test app using Monkey 71c and the latest diddy repo.

The first few times it worked, I think - didn't see any crashes, but running it a 3rd time it borked with errors again when exiting the app. This is for the Windows 8 RT target and using diddy as my framework.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#11]
Any Ideas guys as to what on Earth can be causing this?

I'm hunting the web for answers. So far I've been able to find a few links that may help. I'll post as I confirm their usefulness.

http://answers.flyppdevportal.com/categories/metro/nativecode.aspx?ID=914559a9-c47b-4b6b-9e1a-2cf3f807e8ef

Amon(Posted 2013) [#12]
Is there a fix for this? Is it a Diddy or Monkey issue?

I was told it may be a Monkey issue. Is it possible to investigate why Monkey doesn't play nice with Diddy and the Win8 target?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#13]
Diddy is only calling pure Monkey functions.

Can you reproduce it in a simple example both using Diddy and just using Monkey?

Amon(Posted 2013) [#14]
Firstly for Diddy, build the testFramework, which is in the Diddy examples folder, for win8 target.

Once built open the sln file within VisualStudio2012 and build/deploy the solution. When it runs everything is fine, the titleScreen text appears and the particles on the gameScreen appear and work fine. Whether you are at the titleScreen or go back to it from the gameScreen, pressing escape while in the titleScreen shuts the app down and spits out the error/crash.

I will arrange a simple example with just Monkey, not using diddy, and you'll see it will work fine. I need about 30 mins before I can do this as I have a few things to sort out.

Ta!

therevills(Posted 2013) [#15]
Ta Amon.

I've just created a stub Monkey program and it crashes when quitting, I've posted in the bug forum: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5433#60641