Nintendo Web Framework

Monkey Targets Forums/User Targets/Nintendo Web Framework

arawkins(Posted 2014) [#1]
I am currently porting my Monkey game Dolphin Up to the Wii U and can confirm that the html5 monkey target works great with Nintendo Web Framework.

I have a custom target done for it which is a slightly modified version of the html5 target (it basically just changes the folder structure a little and puts the main.js + data files in a different spot). Unfortunately due to the NDA you have to sign I can't share the code here, but if you sign up to become a registered developer with Nintendo then I think I can share it through other channels.

Overall the experience porting and developing for Nintendo has been pretty awesome. If you have any interest at all I encourage you to apply!

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#2]
It's good to know!

Raul(Posted 2014) [#3]
I am interested in this. Thanks for sharing this man!

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#4]
@arawkins,

Very cool! will take a look.

btw: Dolphin Up - great game you got there, nice and smooth, and very fun :)

Raul(Posted 2014) [#5]
@arawkins: just wondering.. how much time has it been since you register and receive a response?

arawkins(Posted 2014) [#6]
@TeaBoy: Thanks!

@Raul: It took awhile (I think a few months), but I signed up back when they first announced the Nintendo Web Framework (GDC 2013). I think they have things together a bit more now and are moving faster.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#7]
I see.
Could you also explain how dow you test your game? Do you have any nintendo hardware? I cannot find on their site anything regarding the deployment on real devices for testing purpose.

arawkins(Posted 2014) [#8]
Yeah, you need to get some development hardware from Nintendo. That said, you can go pretty far just developing your game in the Monkey HTML5 Target, using a TV friendly resolution (720p or 1080p), keeping in mind the control schemes that will eventually be available to you (touch screen + gamepad).

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#9]
Has anybody got registration after topic starter post?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#10]
no one yet :D

Snader(Posted 2014) [#11]
Signed up succesfully! But now I am a bit clueless what to do...

Snader(Posted 2014) [#12]
Too bad you have to get a Wii-U dev kit. They cost a lot!

Pharmhaus(Posted 2014) [#13]
How much is it?

arawkins(Posted 2014) [#14]
I think the actual price is protected under the NDA, but I saw a public presentation by Dan Adelman from Nintendo last year and he stated the cost as "comparable to a high-end gaming PC", so hopefully that gives you some idea.

Snader(Posted 2014) [#15]
There are two versions, one $2000 and one $3000. You can however send it back after 6 months without paying. Some of you only have to pay the import taxes, since it is send from the USA.

funkygallo(Posted 2015) [#16]
Hi to all,
anyone have any updates about this?

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#17]
@funkygallo I don't have anything new to add other than what is already in the thread above, but am happy to answer any questions.

funkygallo(Posted 2015) [#18]
@arawkins So I understand that You have the Wii U dev kit at home/office, and You can confirm that the html made by monkey works great on Wii U?

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#19]
Yes, that's right, the html5 output works. I didn't have to alter anything in mojo or anything, graphics and sound loaded and worked fine. You do have to do your own coding to add Wii U specific features, including controller support. Some basic javascript/html5 knowledge is probably going to be helpful or you may find yourself limited in what you can do.

I also haven't figured out a way to code a Monkey game so that it outputs different content on the TV and Gamepad screens. So far all I've done is a "Mirrored" view, so the gamepad shows the same thing as the TV. I think it is probably possible, but I haven't taken a crack at it yet. I think you would need to find a way to do two separate render loops, each going to their own html canvas element.

funkygallo(Posted 2015) [#20]
@arawkins Thank You for all your info. I just signed yesterday the form to "request" a Wii U dev kit, and I checked only Nintendo Web Framework (not Unity), so I hope that the dev kit will be less expensive.

And congrats for this news! : http://www.rawkins.com/blog/dolphin-up-launching-feb-5-on-the-wii-u-eshop/

Ale

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#21]
Monkey is definitely an amazing tool!

Soap(Posted 2015) [#22]
>I also haven't figured out a way to code a Monkey game so that it outputs different content on the TV and Gamepad screens.

If you look in the examples included it does show how to do it. It's been a while since I looked, but I believe it is a simple deal of having different names on your canvases. So then you would need to figure out the best way in your game to output to two separate canvas tags. Either two Monkey apps communicating, a Monkey app and a pure Javascript script communicating, or single Monkey app outputting to each canvas.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#23]
@funkygallo - Thanks! Once you get signed up, find me on their dev forums (I have the same username there).

@Soap - I was thinking of trying your last option (Monkey app outputting to each canvas) by adding a second OnRender to Mojo that outputs to the second canvas. Definitely want to get it figured out as it's kind of a shame to not be able to leverage the biggest unique advantage of the console.

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#24]
I have signed up at sunday, but i didnt receive any kind of information except:
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Wii U Developer. The Nintendo Team will be reviewing your information and a member of the team will contact you to help you get started on the road to creating your Wii U experience.

The Nintendo Team

How long is the check time? Any ideas?

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#25]
Can't really say for sure....it took quite awhile for me but I think they are getting faster now. I just found this thread on the Unity forums: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wii-u-developer-license-wait-time.263037/ , and it sounds like for some it has been ~2 weeks, others several months. NWF and Unity developers are in the same program, so in theory your wait time should be similar.

funkygallo(Posted 2015) [#26]
@arawkins I will do if Nintendo accept my submission and the dev kit isn't too expensive!

@k.o.g. I think it depends on how many people have applied and how many people works in Nintendo to this stuff. By the way same email here :)

Ok surfing the web (address below) some people waited only 2 weeks, some other 1 month.
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wii-u-developer-license-wait-time.263037/

Spinal(Posted 2015) [#27]
I have a couple of questions...

Is it possible to test without a hardware dev kit, perhaps with a regular Wii U?

Can you sign up to the dev program without requesting the hardware?

If yes to the above, can you sign up without any cost?

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#28]
Unfortunately you can't test or develop anything using a retail Wii U. You can do almost all of your game in the html5 target in Monkey though and then move to the dev kit later when you are ready to start implementing their APIs. Yes, you can sign up for their dev program without buying the kit, and there is no cost for signing up.

funkygallo(Posted 2015) [#29]
Ok just for info.
My Nintendo submission was accepted just today.
So the program is still available also for non expert developer.