Blackberry

Monkey Targets Forums/User Targets/Blackberry

pantson(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi
What target should I be using for Blackberry?
I've inherited one from work and would love to play with it (not that I like it.. find the interface very unintuitive)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Monkey doesnt have a Blackberry target at the moment... I guess you could create your own :P

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#3]
Horrible devices that are dead in the water. :)

Use HTML5 if you want to target phones and tablets. See here:
http://us.blackberry.com/developers/

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#4]
Hi,

Had a quick play and managed to get an android app running on a blackberry simulator in about an hour!

You need vmware, and some blackberry tools:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/tool/

Grab 'command line tools' and 'simulator'.

Setup vmware and the simulator, changedir to command line tools bin dir and use something like:

apk2bar c:\monkey\bananas\mak\bouncyaliens\bouncyaliens.build\android\bin\MonkeyGame-debug.apk c:\android-sdk-windows

...to repackage an apk, and...

batchbar-deploy c:\monkey\bananas\mak\bouncyaliens\bouncyaliens.build\android\bin 192.168.171.132 dummy

...to deploy the output bar file to the simulator (click on gizmo to right of clock in simulator to find it's dev IP address).

No idea how to exit the app...and I have no real intention of taking this much further right now but it's kinda fun.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#5]
That is awesome :)

Aman(Posted 2012) [#6]
This is only for the Playbook. It does not work with blackberry phones. You can use android or Adobe AIR for tablets only, java for phones only (cannot do that in monkey) or HTML5 for both. Since we are talking about monkey, your best choice is HTML5.

You have to go to this link and download all three tools:
https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/download

The first one is to run and test your HTML5 code on a web based emulator. The second one is package it as a blackberry or playbook app. The third one is to run and test your blackberry or playbook app on a device simulator.

pantson(Posted 2012) [#7]
Wow!!

thanks for the responses everyone...

I will try some of the solutions very soon when I get some time.

We have just had a new baby so time is very very limited

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hey Rich grats for the baby! :)

frank(Posted 2012) [#9]
For those of you who already have some games/apps done on Android:

https://twitter.com/#!/asaunders/statuses/165097598624075777

benmc(Posted 2012) [#10]
@frank I received an email from Blackberry asking me to put my apps on Blackberry and the free Playbook. I think this is my Monday morning project :) However, I can't figure out HOW to claim the free playbook in any way yet.

Aman(Posted 2012) [#11]
@benmc
Do you a "vendor account" yet? If so, how long did it take to activate? If you don't I suggest you do it fast. I signed up for one since Thursday and still waiting.

frank(Posted 2012) [#12]
Did anyone find how to sign up for the free playbook?

Aman(Posted 2012) [#13]
Submit it before Feb. 13. If it is approved, you get one. That's it.
http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/playbook_offer2012.jsp

and It's not Android only anymore. HTML5 (WebWorks) and Adobe Air apps gets the same offer.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#14]
I could sign and submit my apk using their web tools without any problems. Didn't need to download anything. Great!

Aman(Posted 2012) [#15]
I also used the web tool. I only had to download the signing key and developer certificate.

I just got an email from RIM:
You’ve completed the first step toward a free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Your app submission has been successfully received by the team at BlackBerry App World, putting you on the road to qualify for the free BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Offer 2012. The BlackBerry App World team reviews each app based on the Vendor Guidelines and we’ll notify you as soon as we have determined if your app qualifies for the free tablet offer.

When your app is approved, you will receive an additional email notice requesting a shipping address for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

If you receive notice that your app has not been accepted, don’t give up. You can modify and resubmit that app for approval as long as the app was originally submitted during the qualifying period. We will do our best to promptly review each application submission. However, we cannot guarantee a decision within a specific timeframe.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put into developing an app for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. We’re pleased and excited to have your applications on our platform and look forward to shared success and a long relationship.

Happy coding!

The BlackBerry Developer Program team

P.S. You are welcome to submit multiple entries for consideration, but only one BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will be awarded per registered vendor in BlackBerry App World.

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#16]
24 hours after my request they haven't sent me the signing key yet.
Is there a possibility to get it faster?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#17]
No that should go rather quickly. Took an hour on my side.

Waiting for the vendor approval. Damnit! :D

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#18]
I requested the key a second time (with another mail-adress) and got it within 30 minutes :)
So the first request might got lost.

My app is now signed and submitted :)
(my vendor account was approved last week after a waiting time of ~2 days).

I'm curious if they will really send a free playbook.
I spend the whole weekend to get the rest of my game done in time for the free playbook program :)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#19]
Got my vendor approval and uploaded my game. Well let's see and good luck to all!

Aman(Posted 2012) [#20]
It took my signing keys about 10 minute but it took me about 4 days to get my vendor approved.

By the way, the offer has been extended for 2 more weeks but you have to sign up by Feb. 15 in order to be eligible for it.

One last thing, you have to keep the minimum supported version 2.0.0 or your app will be rejected. But if it gets rejected, you can upload it again and you will still be eligible for the offer even after it expires

@mardrag they will. This is not the first time. They did it before the playbook was release but there was no android packaging.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#21]
Hey Aman, where can I read about this extended period please?

Oh and I've set the minimum version to 1.0.0. Uh oh... will wait for the rejection to set it to 2.0.0. Thanks Aman!

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#22]
@Xaron
http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/02/playbook-offer-extension/

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#23]
Thanks mardrag!

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#24]
Thanks Aman for mentioning the promotion date extension. Anyone else finding the PlayBook 2.0 simulator very slow? If the apps run like that on the real device it is not gonna fly.

Aman(Posted 2012) [#25]
My first game has been denied because of an issue with the accelerometer. The second one does not use accelerometer. Hopefully, it will be approved.

@AndroidAndy
The device has 1GB of RAM and dedicated CPU&GPU unlike the simulator. I never tested on a real device yet

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#26]
Undoubtedly, the real device will run faster, but I developed a Flex app for the PlayBook during the launch last year and testing on the 1.0 simulator was significantly faster than what I am seeing on the 2.0 simulator, so I start to wonder about the implementation of Android support on the device.

Anyone here tested a Monkey app on the actual device running the new 2.0 OS?

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#27]
@AndroidAndy
Don't worry about performance. If your game runs well on a decent Android phone or tablet, it will be equally smooth on PlayBook. I actually find that my Android games perform better than my Flash/Air games on the device.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#28]
" Remove all mention of the word Android from your app, in the application description and in the app itself, before submitting your app to BlackBerry App World"

Did you all do this? I see the word "AndroidManifest.xml"
in the .apk file and see no way to change this.
And I have a few times used #IF TARGET="android".

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#29]
If you use "#IF TARGET = ..." then this is a preprocessor thing and won't be in the final source code.

And of course something like AndroidManifest is ok. What they probably mean is that you remove any references to "Android" visible in your app and within the app description.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#30]
Thanks Xaron. Will submit my App and report back.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#31]
Good luck! :)

Aman(Posted 2012) [#32]
Got my second app rejected because of a sound bug that forces the app to crash. The game works fine on the simulator.

This is the feedback I got:
Game play issue, always freezing after 10 seconds (there's message appear "PlaySample failed to play sound)

anyone else with similar issues?

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#33]
@Aman
It might help if you encode your sound effects as ogg, not mp3

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#34]
I submitted my game 11 days ago and RIM hasn't reviewed it so far.
So they seem to be really busy at the moment.

Aman(Posted 2012) [#35]
Thanks secondgear for the advice. I will try it once they review my last submitted version.

@mardrag
more than 6600 new developers signed up just to get this deal not to mention the old developers. I bet there are thousands of apps to be reviewed

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#36]
Anyone got one already? I know ima747 from the BB forums got one.

I received my rejection today because I used the wrong version 1.0.0 for my Android app. Piece of cake, changed it to 2.0.0 right now. Fingers crossed!

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#37]
Two days ago:
- My app got approved

Today:
- RIM informs me, that my submission qualifies for the free Playbook offer
- They ask for shipping details
- RIM writes, that in 24h - 72h they will ship the tablet

BTW: They use ground shipping.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#38]
Four days ago my app got approved to, and today I got the mail
to fill out the shipping details.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#39]
@Aman - Thanks for posting the link for the offer and thanks to @pantson for even posting the thread, I wouldn't have known about this offer even though I already signed up as a BlackBerry Developer last year when they had the Adobe AIR offer.

I missed the Adobe offer last year, but thanks to Mark and his "Monkey" I was able to whip up an Android app, and posted it right at the final seconds before the offer closed. The app was approved in a day and the shiny new PlayBook is on its way!

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#40]
After ages my game was approved yesterday. Well let's see if I qualify for their playbook offer.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#41]
Yay, I get one! :)

TMK(Posted 2012) [#42]
Got the Playbook in the mail today, yay! :D

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#43]
Well... I entered my shipping details on 20th of march. 8 days later no shipment yet. Looks like I'm not alone with that issue though. ;)

TMK(Posted 2012) [#44]
By the way, they didn't send me any tracking number or email when the package was sent, FedEx just arrived at my door one day with it. Hopefully it arrives soon!

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#45]
Ah interesting, thanks TMK!

Volker(Posted 2012) [#46]
My Playbook arrived yesterday. My nephew hast got his fingers
on it, so no chance for me to test atm.

Has anyone sold something in the blackberry market?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#47]
Good question. Actually I don't know. At least the vendor portal shows zero if I interpret it correctly. ;) If I click onto generate charts it says: No record found for selected Product(s) and date range.

Here's the link to my game anyway. Would love to try it on a PlayBook as soon as it arrives...

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/87980/?lang=en

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#48]
@Xaron

Your game works fine on my PlayBook. I gave it a five star review and you now have at least one sale that should show up in the reports :)

Welcome to BlackBerry world!

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#49]
Wohoo! Thanks very much, I appreciate it! Do you have anything in the store already? :)

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#50]
We have a few titles dating back to 2009. Here is the latest:
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/87516/?lang=en

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#51]
Alright, will check it out as soon as I've got hands on my PlayBook. :)

Generally how would you say does the Store work compared to Android in download numbers?

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#52]
In the past: better. Going forward - no idea. The platform is becoming more open, thus inviting more content. Good for consumers, more difficult for indie developers.

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#53]
@Xaron:
I guess you will receive it within the next days.

My experience was:
March 02, 2012 - Entered my shipment details into form
March 06, 2012 - Shipment started at Loveland, Ohio (says the tracking history)
March 08, 2012 - Arrived at Paris airport, France (tracking history)
March 14, 2012 - Arrived at my house near Trier, Germany

So it seems to be normal that the transport from France to Germany takes a lot of time.

The download numbers of a free app of mine:
Android: 390
Windows phone: 520
Blackberry: 40

Maybe the last one will improve in future.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#54]
Mine has arrived! :) I really like that QNX OS. It looks better than the typical Android OS, much more like iOS.

jondecker76(Posted 2012) [#55]
A blackberry OS target would be nice.. Blackberry just announced that they will guarantee at least $10,000 in sales for approved apps (they'll actually make up the difference after a year as long as your app made at least $1000). I wouldn't totally rule them out just yet

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#56]
Is that valid for that Android Playbook target as well? I guess not..

kmac(Posted 2012) [#57]
Just giving this a try however signing fails with the following,

Error: Code signing request failed because this file has been previously signed.

I'm just playing with a couple of the Monkey examples. The clock demo converted, signed, and installed on my playbook without problems while attempting the same with the 'champagne' example results in the above error. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#58]
Any chance for a PlayBook target?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#59]
No need for that. It works with standard Android. You just have to resign it.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#60]
Xaron:

Du you have a link to some information on how to resign my Android App to PlayBook?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#61]
Sure: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/bpaa/

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#62]
Great thanks!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#63]
I tried that link and I'm now waiting for them to approve my game "Planet Defender"

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#64]
Okay they did not approve my game. They said there was still some Android references in the game.

The description and the images are okay. Where can those Android references be?
Anyone know how to remove Android references?

frank(Posted 2013) [#65]
So now with the heating up of the Blackberry 10 OS and devices, is someone working on a BB10 target? Just asking because I think there is market there although not sure how big it is.

Volker(Posted 2013) [#66]
The monkey apps made with android target will although work
on BB10. But I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for.

frank(Posted 2013) [#67]
It seems there is a kind of conversion / compatibility 'player' for BB10 to run Android apps? http://developer.blackberry.com/android/tools/ It doesn't look like the best choice to make apps for BB10. Correct me if i'm wrong; I never did anything with BB, it just seems interesting as it's now hyped (again). When I read about BB10 OS it seemed to have not much to do with Android, but apparently it has; maybe you know more?

secondgear(Posted 2013) [#68]
Yes, you can publish your Android apps on BlackBerry 10 and on PlayBook OS. There are some features that aren't supported, but majority of Monkey games will run just fine.

It would be nice to have a Native (C++) BlackBerry 10 target though. Not only it should help your game perform better than with Android runtime, it would also allow a Monkey-based game to qualify for Built for BlackBerry certification. In the future, only apps with this certification will get a chance to be featured in the store.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#69]
I created an app last year with Monkey for the PlayBook and scored a free PlayBook (which has since become a nice paperweight.) Then a while ago BlackBerry updated my app for the Z10 and now they are doing the same for the Q10. That is nice of them and I have actually have a Z10 now to test with. So I downloaded my app on the Z10 and while the display of some buttons is slightly off on the Z10 compared to the PlayBook, it works and looks as expected.

My question is if anyone has ever updated a Monkey app and how easy was it, do you need to get the new version reapproved, did you use a new version of Monkey to create and submit the update?

I would like to update and expand upon the app, but it seems that the update could be potentially more difficult than the initial submission, especially now that they automatically ported my app to two additional targets. Any MonkeyCoders out there actively maintaining and updating apps on BlackBerry App World?