Help getting PSM Target to compile

Monkey Targets Forums/PSM/Help getting PSM Target to compile

bt garner(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello Monkey Affectionados.

I have recently joined your ranks, having been impressed with the cross platform compilation feature. However, there seems to be very little documentation on the PSM side (set PSM_PATH) and edit the config file.

My current issue is that I have the PSM dev kit installed, and I have the config file edited and the system environmental variable PSM_PATH set correctly, but the project does nto compile. It gets translated (so I could load up the created code in mono), but stops there.

I am running the most current stable version (77f). Any help on getting TED to actually compile the created PSM project is appreciated, thank you.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#2]
It's possible PSM has changed and Mark has not updated.

If it gets translated then go open the PSM compiler directly and open the Monkey project. Try to get it to build and run on simulator there. It has been a while since I tested PSM so I can't give solid info, but it does work, have tested monkey stuff on actual Vita hardware.

PSM provides a bunch of examples in their documentation folder. Try to compile a test one of them too.

bt garner(Posted 2014) [#3]
The PSM Dev Kit that I am using is 6-7 months old, so hopefull ythat eliminates the possibility of a change to the PSMDev (unless maybe it did change, and the version I have is too old)

I know the PSM environment compiles native code, and this is an okay solution, but I would much rather be able to edit & compile all in the same IDE, rather than having to launch mono for compiling.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#4]
I think using the included app with PSM after compiling was how I tested originally. I don't know if Monkey is setup for more than trans with PSM. Ideally you would be normally compiling for HTML5 targets during dev since its compile is fast, and then go to PSM or other targets for later testing and polish.

bt garner(Posted 2014) [#5]
That just seems a bit off, if that is the purpose, then why bother with the PSM_PATH (et al), if the Dev Kit is not used? It is not used from the created PSM Project, is it? I don't know, but I can't think of a reason why it would be needed other than to compile, and that's why the system vars are needed to point to the psm command line compiler. As I said, its fine it that is the standard MO, but I was under the impression that PSM Dev was more integrated.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#6]
I can't answer because I don't know. I do know that PSM support was on hiatus because Sony limited which countries could get access - that may explain lack of support. It may be worth Mark to look into again.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#7]
I can build and run the bouncyaliens banana form PSM here fine (it only runs on the simulator though).

I'm using Windows 7 and PSM Studio v2.8.84 (SDK v1.21.00).

What output are you getting? I get:

TRANS monkey compiler V1.66
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
app.info : memory : resource_heap_size=67108864, managed_heap_size=33554432
app.info : require feature : GamePad
app.info : require feature : Touch
app.info : require feature : Motion
C# Assembly Loading [ C:\\Users\\Mark Sibly\\Desktop\\bouncyaliens\\bouncyaliens.buildv79a\\psm\\bin\\Debug\\MonkeyGame-unsigned\\Application\\app.exe ]
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
OpenGL
OpenGL ES 2.0 Piglet(0.1.1)
OpenGL ES GLSL ES 2.0
Display modes:

Whiteball(Posted 2014) [#8]
I've been having some problems getting anything to build as well. After reading about possible issues with .NET4.5 and Windows 8 (all of which made no difference to me) I can now successfully build and run stuff on Windows 8 after doing just the following (found on Sony's forums)

Close PSM Studio if its open.
Open a CMD prompt with admin rights and enter:
setx MSBUILDENABLEALLPROPERTYFUNCTIONS 1

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#9]
Got myself a Vita today as I like them and would love to be able to have my game run on it. However, I see you have to pay the developer fee before you can even start trying to do anything, so before I go and blow a wad of cash on the SDK, is there anyone else that is currently using the PSM SDK and making any headway using it with Monkey?
@bt garner, have you made any progress here? I'm also using Monkey V77f but on Windows 7, so hoping I won't have any issues.
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it's kinda related and I just want to see if I'll be burning money for nothing, as I'd sooner give the money to Mark than to Sony :)

EDIT: Ok it seems you can download the SDK after registration after all. There was some confusion with their process of becoming a dev. Now the way I understand it is that you pay for a publisher licence. I guess this is when you're happy with your game and are ready to sell. That makes a lot more sense and should alienate less indies IMO.

Sorry for any confusion caused, but my questions still stand to @bt garner and others that are trying to dev for the Vita using Monkey.

dragon(Posted 2014) [#10]
>>>However, I see you have to pay the developer fee before you can even start trying to do anything, so before I go and blow a wad of cash on the SDK, is there anyone else that is currently using the PSM SDK and making any headway using it with Monkey?

nope... sony say:

We are looking forward to seeing your exciting ideas become reality and having fun developing together.
To help out all the talent out there we thought it would be better to waive the publisher license fee. So we decided to extend the duration.
To obtain a PSM Publisher License, please register or sign in to: https://psm.playstation.net/
Start date: 8th May 2013
End date: TBD
The free PSM Publisher License is valid for one year from the obtained date.

https://en-support.psm.playstation.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/183/c/1

dragon(Posted 2014) [#11]
sony did same mistake like MS...
they have no position like Apple...

A DEV should pay 99$ to publish something?
99$ for Apple, + 99$ for MS + 99$ for PSM + ...$
no way...

MS did a correction...
now you pay only 1 time for license...

and sony give you 1 year for free

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#12]
Ah thanks guys. On a very high note, I just wanted to say that without having to do too much work, I've got my game running perfectly in the PSM simulator. Saying that, the Xbox360 usb controller I have connected to my PC has the buttons mapped all wrong. I have checked the Monkey documentation and it appears to be right, so I think it's likely the Xbox controller/Simulator combo that's weird. I'm dying to test this on my real Vita, but not sure how to make Monkey do a compile and run it on the Vita instead of the simulator. The PSM studio seems to only have the simulator under teh drop-down for targets, so I guess once you've paid the publisher licence, that will then link up your connected Vita too?

Just to clarify, it seems to me you have to pay the Publishers fee to test on real hardware anyway. I've just applied for the publisher's licence, so will see how it goes from there, but TBH, so far, so good. I may well have not bothered with the Vita if Monkey didn't make it as easy as it's been now. Well done Mr Sibly. You did a fine job.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#13]
Ok so as an update: I applied for my free publisher's licence and after 3 days, got approved. I had trouble in the Publishing Utility to generate a key name and an app key at first as I wasn't sure exactly what I needed to fill in, but after a few tries I got it working.
The only problem I am finding now is that when you do a Launch in Mollusk, ie a build and run, it launches the simulator instead of pushing it to the Vita itself. I find that the only way I can get it to work is to open the Monkey solution in PSM studio, then ensure the Vita is chosen in the drop-down, before hitting Run/Debug. It's a bit of a pain, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on where I could possibly change the PSM build solution within Monkey to set the drop-down to the Vita, if that's even possible?

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#14]
Seems I found an issue with the joypad mapping. When pressing the Circle button, it triggers both JOY_BACK and JOY_B. I tested this in bananas/mak/joytest on the vita directly. In addition, the Select button, supposedly JOY_BACK, doesn't trigger anywhere. I'm ok with it as I can work around it, but I just thought I'd make others aware of these issues.
The rest of the buttons and controls work wonderfully. It's also great to see a Monkey game on the vita screen :)

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#15]
If you need help to set up the psm target, xhexk out this Fully automatic target installer for win/mac/linux