Getting stuff running on the Vita

Monkey Targets Forums/PSM/Getting stuff running on the Vita

Raz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a PS Vita (mainly for hopeful game development!) and I am finding the process of running a game on the Vita quite... hit and miss!

I've got my publisher key and generated an app key but am finding that sometimes the deploy/run process doesn't work. Sometimes the PSM IDE hangs, sometimes I get the "Deploying application to device" message at the bottom, but it's not actually doing anything (I have the Vita plugged in via USB and the PSM dev app open) and sometimes when the app appears to install, I just briefly get a blank screen and no error message when I try to run it.

I'm not sure how many of you are using the PSM target but is there a knack to deploying onto and running Monkey games on the Vita? I am struggling some what!

Ta! :D

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#2]
Have you tried just to run a simple "hello world" ?
I got a similar problem when I tried to change the name of the project from MonkeyGame to something else.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I haven't yet no. Of course that would've been the sensible thing to do, but naturally I went straight to a game I've already half made. As stated, it did actually run (Perling) but at the same time Ninjah didn't.

I too found out that changing the name of the project wasn't a good idea ;)

It just seems to me that the problem isn't necessarily always the game and more the process of getting it on to the Vita.

Either way, I will do some Hello World tests to try and establish what's causing Ninjah not to run.

Ta :D

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2013) [#4]
To the original question, ensure that you're not on a Virtual Machine. That's a big one, cause while it will work, it gets weird. Next, ensure that your machine is awake. When it goes to sleep and you try to deploy, sometimes the PSV will cause the IDE to hang/lock up. Lastly, make sure your key is in the right folder and that if you delete your build folder, that you put it back.

Those are the only tips I can give, cause that's what I do and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

@ilovepixel As to the project renaming, I've renamed several projects with no problems. They'll all on my PSV simultaneously and can be updated any time. Not sure what you're doing wrong.

Raz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks good looking! wait...

By virtual machine, you mean, as in my desktop is a virtual machine?

I was making sure the PSV stayed awake, but sometimes it just wouldn't work. I restarted the Vita and my PC and it starts working again, so something is going on somewhere!

I didn't actually follow a guide for Vita deployment word for word, so I am going to have to stop being an impatient fool and do that.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2013) [#6]
Virtual machine as in an OS inside an OS like VMWare, Parallels, and VirtualBox.

Also, just a thought, make sure your computer has sufficient power to transfer data between the two devices. Cause it almost sounds like the IRQ gets hung up because of insufficient power while trying to accomplish its task. Although I may be overthinking what the problem is greatly.

And yeah, definitely read the deployment guide. The PSV uses a very foreign-to-me deployment system. Maybe that's because I haven't done anything other than PC deployment up until now.

If I recall correctly, when I first set it up, I had to generate a key for the PSV itself and then one for every game.