Diddy PSS

Monkey Targets Forums/PSM/Diddy PSS

andrew_r(Posted 2012) [#1]
So... Is Diddy going to be updated for the new PSS target? :)

I managed to hack the resultant PSS solution to get it to compile (and apparently work), but official support would be awesome!

Andrew

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
When the PSS becomes an official Monkey target (at the moment it just looks a test) and as long as the SDK is free, I'll have a look at it later (trying to finish off my game ATM).

BTW What were your "hacks"?

andrew_r(Posted 2012) [#3]
I open the resulting solution in the PSS Dev Ide and comment out any of the gtk* methods with an error, except the one for gtkImage.Discard() (I think it's gtkImage).

For that one, I add a discard method that simply calls Dispose() on the texture member object.

Andrew

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Strange, the gtk stuff is actually Mojo...

andrew_r(Posted 2012) [#5]
(Well, I copied your diddy.xna.cs to diddy.pss.cs and went from there in order to get it to compile)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#6]
Just downloaded the SDK, installed and managed to get BouncyAliens working on the simulator...

Tried a Diddy example, after copying diddy.xna.cs to diddy.pss.cs:
TRANS FAILED: TRANS Failed to execute '"D:\Program Files (x86)\SCE\Pss/tools/PssStudio/bin/mdtool" pss windows run-project MonkeyGame.sln', return code=9

Thought it is due to some of the code in diddy.pss.cs, so I commented out all the functionality and it still doesnt work...

So I thought I would load up the PssStudio, but for some reason it doesnt run (PlayStation(R)Suite Studio has stopped working)... FAIL :(

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
Okay, if anyone else gets the PssStudio doesnt load, check your environment variables and make sure that Gtk is the first one in your PATH!!

@Andrew, I now know what you meant with the "comment out any of the gtk* methods with an error", I thought you meant thru-out the file... but its just the Diddy ones.

I've just fixed them (either fixing them or removed them), so now Diddy "should" work with the pss target.

The "discard" error is a Mojo bug (Mark forgot to add it), but I've wrapped the Diddy code to bypass it (if compiling the pss target).

Soap(Posted 2012) [#8]
The price for the SDK will be $99 after the free period.

"SCE will also release the official version of PlayStationŽSuite SDK at $99 US annually later this year"

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/120307_e.html

therevills(Posted 2012) [#9]
The price for the SDK will be $99 after the free period.

So they will be charging for the SDK! Ouch!

I thought it would be more like Apple, in which they allow you the SDK for free, but they charge you to test on a real device and submit to the app store.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#10]
Paying Apple is pretty much required to dev though. I think the situation will be much the same.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#11]
Is there going to be a PSS store of some sort?

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#12]
Is there going to be a PSS store of some sort?

Well there is currently a PSN (Playstation Network) online store on all Sony products right now. The Vita already has its own section, but i suspect that the games we develop with the PSS SDK will be part of the "Minis" class of PSN games.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#13]
Paying Apple is pretty much required to dev

The difference is that with Apple you can develop your game and test on the emulator and only pay Apple once you are ready to publish.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#14]
You have to buy a Mac (I know you can just build a hackintosh but you can also just not pay for software and I don't recommend either), and Xcode wasn't always free on the Mac App Store.

Maybe Sony will change their policy if enough people are vocal. I think they will want to model Apple as much as possible because it is in their interest for more people to use it.

I'm hopeful. (:

AaronK(Posted 2012) [#15]
Is that an ongoing cost with PSS? With Apple, if you stop paying your Apps disappear AFAIK.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#16]
We don't know that yet.