PSS Target - Joypad controls

Monkey Targets Forums/PSM/PSS Target - Joypad controls

Raz(Posted 2012) [#1]
By default PS Suite has limited support for emulated controls ( http://www.psschina.net/en/simulator_for_pc_en.html ). However using this - http://gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/04/29/Using-a-PC-gamepad-to-control-the-PlayStation-Suite-Simulator.aspx - and editing the generated PSS code, I was able to use my plugged in Xbox controller to emulate most of the controls (though from what I can tell, the right stick doesn't work?)

I am hoping the limited (read no) official support for joypads is only a temporary thing though :|

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
I am hoping the limited (read no) official support for joypads is only a temporary thing though :|

It must be a temporary thing, it has only just been released and in Mark's own words:
This is highly experimental, but already features a (nearly) full implementation of mojo

So its not feature complete and is "highly experimental"... Give it time.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#3]
Just to be clear I wasn't knocking monkey if anything it was a dig at the ps suite which is lacking in joypad support (so realistically there isn't anything mark can do anyway)

I was very pleasantly surprised to see monkey build my games as pss games with no fuss at all :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
at the ps suite which is lacking in joypad support

O_o

So theres no joypad support with the SDK itself!?!?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yeah that's the point I was (badly) making, see the following doc, as far as I can tell this is the extent of the control support in the simulator. http://www.psschina.net/en/simulator_for_pc_en.html doesn't it seem pretty pathetic?

Someone had to make their own TCP server to stream the state of a gamepad and add a listener within the app for it to work.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yep raz is right, the current input support is pretty limited right now. Is there even a way to access the dual analogue sticks yet?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#7]
is it me or does that not sound like something you might wana have in an SDK before you release, you know something to actually control game content....

Seems like a major oversight, I am sure their working on adding it asap.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#8]
Yep raz is right, the current input support is pretty limited right now. Is there even a way to access the dual analogue sticks yet?

If you deploy to a Vita you can, but through the simulator, nopes!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#9]
Really? I could have sworn only the control pads were mapped out, not the analogue sticks. Ok will try this again later today..

Raz(Posted 2012) [#10]
Ahh well, I don't actually know that for a fact, but I assumed so from what I read!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#11]
Oh ok, so apparently you can access the analogue sticks now through the SDK. Its just not documented unless you poke around a bit more :). The analogue data is exposed by gamePadData.AnalogLeftX and gamePadData.AnalogLeftY. However, you have to set the deadzones for it to function correctly first...somehow. There's also the "rear touch" feature for the Vita but i don't think thats currently opened in the SDK yet.

BTW, does anyone think we're gonna be needing a new PSS sub-forum soon :)?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]

BTW, does anyone think we're gonna be needing a new PSS sub-forum soon :)?

I hope so, the more targets mark adds the more powerful a tool it becomes and the more popular it gets which all feeds through into more sales, more updates and continued support :)