Does a mac-mini require a monitor?

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Does a mac-mini require a monitor?

Kevin(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all,

I'm looking to do some Mac development but mostly from a Windows environment.

I wanted to know if it is possible to just remote on to a mac-mini so that I can avoid having to have it set up with a monitor and taking up more space.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#2]
I remember reading somewhere where they used out-dated mini's as server boxes.. so yes i guess you can use it without a monitor

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#3]
Loot this http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

It was slow working it from windows rdp client, but my macos worked in virtualbox in that time.

Qube(Posted 2014) [#4]
A Mac Mini does not need a monitor, keyboard or mouse to function (after its all setup of course). I have a Mac Mini server running 24/7 with just the power cable and ethernet cable plugged in.

Some Mac Mini's have a weird graphical glitch when you remote desktop to them if they do not have a monitor attached. Unbelievably the fix is to plug an HDMI cable in the back (you don't even need to connect it at the other end). It doesn't happen on all Mac Mini's but something to note if you come across the issue.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#5]
Have you considered a KVM switch? http://www.ebuyer.com/289881-aten-2-port-usb-kvm-switch-cable-integrated-speaker-cs62u

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#6]
Supertino wrote:
Have you considered a KVM switch?

I'm not sure VGA KVM switch has a good support fro FullHD resolution.

Kevin(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks for the info all,
I'll bite the bullet soon and try a setup without a monitor once I've got it setup. Where I hope to have it at home it wouldn't be practical to have a switcher running from it. I'll stick with the desktop OS as it is cheaper so hopefully don't run in to any problems.

The main issue when doing the mac dev remotely I can see is not working on a retina screen - unless there are others? The only reason for having it at the moment is purely to generate and sign apps. I can't see me getting hooked on Apple hardware!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#8]
That particular KVM does 2K resolutions we use it in the office on 1080p screens, super crisp image.