Monkey + iOS 7 + New Apple Feb 2014 Requirements

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Monkey + iOS 7 + New Apple Feb 2014 Requirements

Qube(Posted 2014) [#1]
From Feb 1st 2014 Apple are requiring all apps submitted (and updates) to the App Store to be iOS 7 optimised or else they will be refused. Link

Using the current latest Monkey version 77b, it does not compile under iOS 7 and gives the following error (note : it compiles fine under all pre iOS 7 targets).

Is / will Monkey be updated to comply will Apple's new silly rules?

I'm not sure how you realistically optimise a graphical based game for iOS 7 but as soon as you want user input then won't compiling pre-iOS 7 bring up the older keyboard style which Apple will soon spit back at you?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#2]
i wonder if this also means compiling 64-bit and if there's a way to include multiple versions for the non-64bit iPads.

i would suggest this as a bug to get attention quickly.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#3]
Hmmm?

I released in December 2 iOS games, both of them approved, both of them running on iOS7, compiled with latest XCode - I get no errors.
And the article clearly says: "apps that are compatible with iOS 7 and built with Xcode 5 " - so I don't understand what's going to change...
(Also, I got no email from Apple stating this - so I wouldn't believe this coming out of the blue like that)

Qube(Posted 2014) [#4]
Also, I got no email from Apple stating this - so I wouldn't believe this coming out of the blue like that

It's not out of the blue and quite real. It's also widely reported that from the 1st of February 2014. So on that front I'm not surprised that your apps submitted in December 2013 were ok.

I can compile on Xcode 5 and it works on iOS 7 (iPhone 5s, iPad Air) providing the target is set for pre-iOS 7. However, my main concern is that any native controls, like the keyboard will not show in the native iOS 7 style as the compilation target is pre-iOS 7.

Qube(Posted 2014) [#5]
Never mind, I decided to use Unity instead.

skid(Posted 2014) [#6]
I got the email today:

Make sure your apps work seamlessly with the innovative technologies in iOS 7. Starting February 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with Xcode 5 and iOS 7 SDK.

A #include <pthread.h> should be enough to solve the above issues, dunno...

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#7]
Pretty sure Monkey is already xcode5.0/ios7 SDK compatible, unless my version is too far ahead!

However, using a deployment target of ios7 (which is different from using ios7 SDK!) does indeed cause the above pthread errors. #include <pthread.h> fixes this, and will be in the next release.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#8]
So does this mean apps will only work on iOS7, or that they need to be compiled using the iOS7 SDK and will be backwards compatible with older iOS versions?

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#9]
> So does this mean apps will only work on iOS7, or that they need to be compiled using the iOS7 SDK and will be backwards compatible with older iOS versions?

It's vague, but the way I read it is that apps must be compiled using XCode5 + iOS7 SDK. However, you can still select any deployment target you want (well, any target supported by the iOS7 SDK anyway) so apps can still run on pre-iOS7 devices.

So I think Monkey apps should already qualify 'as is'.