Monkeygame release app file

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Monkeygame release app file

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi

I've just (for the first time) tried to build a monkey app on mac inn release mode, i've encountered a problem, when i copy it to usb stick, why is MonkeyGame.app a folder and not a file?

I thought iOS apps where filename.app package, not a folder?

So how do i place aqn iOS app on my website so it can be downloaded and installed on a iOS device?

Seems like I need an .ipa file...

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hey Sub,

Compiling from Monkey in either mode will not create an .ipa or a runnable file for iOS, it gives you an native xCode project.

This needs to be opened in xCode on a Mac, where you can edit it if required (add app icons, set orientation, add frameworks, add native code etc) and then compile again from xCode for iOS.

You create an .ipa file by using "Archive" from the menu in xCode (rather than Build or Run) and then this will spit out the .ipa you are after.

However the .ipa can not just be hosted on your website for people to download and run on their phones, and to get that far you need to sign up for an Apple Developer Account which costs $100 per year.

Once you have this account setup and have your certificates, you can upload the created .ipa to something like TestFlight to distribute to testers/users while in development and eventually get the app on the App Store via their submission process.

You cannot use this for actual distribution of you app though, as you can only allow 100 devices in your provisioning profile. ie. Can only authorise 100 different iDevices to run the app with a development certificate.

An .ipa file is probably usable from your website on a hacked/jailbroken phone, but this would be devices using iOS 6.1.2 or less only and is against Apples TOS, but it definatly will not work on normal iDevices without your valid certificates from the Developer Portal.

This thread contains links to the guide that I used to get setup and I knew nothing about xCode/iOS when I started.

Hope that helps.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks alot :) Just the information I needed.