@Soap cloud ?

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/@Soap cloud ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I saw those two links you posted and that MacInCloud looks amazing, I was wondering if you have used either of those options and if so which plan , how did it go, did you have any issues with it ?

Soap(Posted 2013) [#2]
You still need an iOS device for testing, but you do not need a physical connection. Only need to use testflightapp to get your device id, add that to your cert and profile, and then make builds and upload them to testflight/itunes. They both are good options and are relatively cheap, but if you are new to OS X it will take you time to get used to it.

http://www.xcodeclub.com/ is the option I recommend more.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
yeah thanks for the links, makes me want to try and get something on my iphone even more now lol..

At least I know I have an affordable option that's not BUY a 2 grand computer that I would only ever use to compile code.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#4]
At least I know I have an affordable option that's not BUY a 2 grand computer that I would only ever use to compile code.

Thats only if you want the iMac or a 15 inch MacBook Pro laptop.

If you already have a mouse, monitor and keyboard, then you could get the cheaper Mac Mini for $600 USD. Although I would seriuously recommend purchasing a Mac keyboard (it does NOT have to be one by Apple either, as Logitech makes VERY nice and affordable Mac Keyboards too).

I used to be all Windows based, until I cracked from a Windows Update that rendered my computer useless. I impulsively went out and looked at the Apple MacBook Pros and took one home. Seriously... I thought the next day "what did I just do? I know NOTHING about these." I kept it and 5 days later wanted nothing to do with Windows again - Mac OS was it. But thats just me, and that was 7 years ago.

Just a thought. You could spend far less than 2K, still get a great computer and continue on with your work. Whats better yet? Install Windows on the Mac. It will work just fine. Dual-Boot or place Windows inside Paralells / VMWare / VirtualBox inside the MacOS. Then you have two environments you could build against and test on.

And that is yet another thought... If you prefer Windows, then get VirtualBox and install Mac OS X on a VM client. You can test for both in the single OS. :)

Snader(Posted 2013) [#5]
If you prefer Windows, then get VirtualBox and install Mac OS X on a VM client. You can test for both in the single OS. :)
I just went for this installation guide:

http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/01/iatkos-ml2-mountain-lion-virtualbox.html

Works fine on my 6 year old PC!

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#6]
It doesn't have to be a 2k computer.

I typically buy mine refurb from the apple store and you can get 15% off, so for example apple uk at the moment have a refurb MacBook Pro i5 laptop for 1059 and that is plenty enough for doing any Xcode development.

The other thing people don't factor in is residual values are much stronger.

I sold a 7 year old g4 PowerBook that cost me 949 for more than a 3 year old gateway laptop that cost me 799. So the actual year on year cost of ownership of the mac is less.

Again in jan of this year I sold a MacBook (non pro) for £400 that I bought in the Sumer of 2008 for 979, you don't get that sort of money for PCs they drop like a stone in value.

Kind of like buying a Beemer or a ford mondeo, one is 10k more but after 10 years the Beemer is worth more than the ford.

Gary