I did it!

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/I did it!

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#1]
I am proudly messing about with my iPad game...on my iPad! I almost threw my macbook out the window (pun intended) in the process, but I did it!

What did I learn right off the bat? 64x64 sprites are too small...now I have to redo my artwork. I'm guessing everyone is using 72x72?

Also learned that the iPad emulator is slow. My scaling was choppy on the sim but on my iPad 2 is smooth as glass.

My tapping code works great and the rotation, although messed up in the simulator, works perfect on the actual iPad.

This is one happy camper right now.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm using 3 sizes of sprites, and loading a different scale depending on the current device's resolution.
Sprite.png, Sprite-hd.png and Sprite-hd2.png are loaded depending on whether the screen meets <640, >=640 or >=1280.
Sprite might be 32x32, so Sprite-hd is 64x64, and Sprite-hd2 is 128x128.

You then need to get a nice "virtual resolution" method going for all your drawing routines, so that it refits all your drawing functions depending on which artwork it's using.
It takes a little more work, but it's worth it once it's all up and running, and it looks great when everything uses hd2!

And yeah, the iPad simulator is mind numbingly slow. Given how nice the iPhone simulator runs, it's quite an oddity.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#3]
Well done mate - it really does feel good the first time you see it running on the device in your hand :)

benmc(Posted 2013) [#4]
What rotation problems did you witness in the simulator that didn't happen on the device? Were you using the same iOS version on the simulator? I am having an impossible time trying to get rotation NOT to go into portrait mode on the iPad simulator, even when rotated to landscape on v5.1 of iOS.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#5]
The simulator was going into portrait but everything was rotated 90 degrees left. I never got it working right but on the actual iPad it works perfectly.