mac mini

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/mac mini

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#1]
im about to try out the ios platform and was wondering if the mac mini will suffice all of my needs or do i need to go for a desktop.im not really after using it for anything else except for development so im after the cheapest option.Ive already got an ipad 3 and just about to get an iphone 4 so i think thats everything just about covered to test it on or is there anything else i need to get.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
If it is the newest generation, then it should run Xcode 4.6 just fine and should serve your needs.

DGuy(Posted 2013) [#3]
As Mike said, any of the current generation Mac mini will be fine. They're all faster/more-powerful then the 3-4 year old iMac I currently use for dev, which has only just started to show it's age performance/speed-wise.

Since you plan to use it mainly for development, I would suggest (if you can afford it):
1) Bumping the memory up to at least 8GB
2) Getting at least the 1TB Fusion Drive

The extra memory and faster disk speed will make development at lot more enjoyable.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#4]
I'm using a bog-standard, no extra ram, simple pimple MacMini from about 3 years ago.
(It still has an internal DVD drive!)

No problems here. Works a treat, compiles as required. Fit as a fiddle.

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#5]
ok guys thanks for the feedback,i think this is the route i will take as i have a spare monitor and keyboard . i had around 1400 quid so i can get one of these now and start to build a new core i7 pc. Every penny counts.

@mikehart i'd better get your book out again and read up on the ios section

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#6]
If you are going to be using the Mac for development - that is sat using the MAC as your main machine then I would agree to bump up the specs and give yourself some more RAM and HD space.

If however, you will be developing on a PC and using a Mac simply for compiling your Monkey/xCode projects to run on iOS, then you can get away with a barebones system.

The second route (compiling only) can also be done using a virtual machine on a PC, which is what I have been doing recently to test Monkey on my iPod 4G - although if I ever were to submit an App I would buy proper hardware beforehand.

No point in spending all that time to create something worth submitting, only to get stung later down the road with the EULA.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#7]
I bought the cheapest Mac Mini for this purpose last year and it works great. I do all my dev on PC, send my files to the Mac, build for XCode, and can easily build and distribute with zero issues.

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#8]
yeah thats what im after doing just using it to compile.i love my pcs to much to desert them.Actually i love left 4 dead 2 much.

aven59(Posted 2013) [#9]
I've bought a Late 2009 Mac Mini. Upgraded to 8 GB and a 240 SSD Hard drive.

So far so good.

New Mac Minis are over priced.

Have Fun !

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#10]
cheers all i went with the mac mini £500.still got teething problems but probably something stupid ive done.Everything compiles and gets sent to my ipad but the icon is just white and when i click on icon its just a white screen.Ive paid my £60 developer cost and downloaded xcode.Will have to check through forum now for help getting started.

JaviCervera(Posted 2013) [#11]
I also have a late 2009 Mac Mini with RAM upgraded to 8GB and it works wonderfully.