Supporting non-updated or jailbroken devices?

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Supporting non-updated or jailbroken devices?

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#1]
Jailbroken devices: Is anyone testing their apps on jailbroken devices? While it's legal to jailbreak, Apple is against it. So app developers should not be concerned with supporting them, yes/no/thoughts?

Non-updated devices: Who's testing their apps on devices that do not run the latest iOS version iTunes wants to install? Apple wants owners to update their devices to the latest iOS that is compatible with the device. So app developers should not be concerned with supporting owners that do not update their device, yes/no/thoughts?

I ask because in another thread I was concerned with reaching the largest customer base possible but I'm only one developer and cannot test every situation. If I say no to jailbroken device owners, then I may lose those customers if my app is buggy. However, whats the chance they will be my customer, a good portion of them jailbreak to pirate apps.

And if I say no to non-updated device owners, no one can fault me because I'm just following Apples policy. However, I may lose those customers if my app is buggy.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#2]
Might be wrong, but I think there's no reason why an app won't run on a jb iOS device.. Of course, there are some apps that try to detect a jailbreak, and then won't run, but that's not what you're asking, is it?

skid(Posted 2012) [#3]
The reason apps are successful is because the developer focused on making their app appealing, fun and popular and did not skimp on either the icons or the screenshots that are so important when it comes to an app's visibility and first impressions.

I just don't understand your preoccupation with matters that to me, seem completely irrelevant to your success.

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#4]
silentshark, correct I'm not asking about that but it's good to know. I've been thinking of ways to incorporate a combination of license key and server registration to thwart piracy. Although I don't know if app vendors will even allow an outside registration system.

skid, you're talking about obtaining a customer base and I'm talking about maintaining a customer base. Both are vital to ongoing success unless you're only looking to hit and run (make a million and retire, not that a million is enough to retire on.)

Here's a story about two companies, Cybermedia and Symantec. Symantec originally got its customer base from loyal Peter Norton customers when Symantec purchased The Peter Norton Group. Symantecs marketing was nothing to brag about, for many years they continued using Peter Nortons face on the front of their product box. (Not to mention their boxes are still yellow!) However, they hired very smart technical people and made great products. In jumps Cybermedia a new kid on the block with a cool name and one hell of a marketing team. Their flagship product was First Aid, a direct competitor to Norton Utilities. The box was appropriately white with a "red cross" outlined in red and filled with a pretty skyline. First Aid quickly caught on with the public and outsold Norton Utilities 20 to 1!! However, the privately held Cybermedia was not in business to compete with Symantec, Cybermedia execs wanted to be purchased by Symantec because thats what Symantec still does, purchase its competition. It didn't happen, while Cybermedias First Aid broke records in sales it also broke records in returns! The product was horrible; one of the utilities was supposed to poll the printer and deliver the status. The actual function did nothing but sleep for 8 seconds and return true, LOL! Fortunately for the execs Cybermedia was purchased by McAfee who immediately fired everyone except the marketing department! So everyone was happy, the Cybermedia execs were wealthy, Symantec continued on and is in business to this day, and the Cybermedia employees? Dont feel too bad, McAfee failed to hire security and the former employees left with computers and Herman Miller Aeron chairs in hand. Only the carpet and cubicles were left!

skid(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks, that helps to understand where you are coming from. ..