Monkey can't find iPhone simulator

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Monkey can't find iPhone simulator

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

When I choose iOS as the target the build succeeds but then trans fails with:

"TRANS FAILED: Can't find dir:/Users/jake/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/5.1"

That folder doesn't exist and that's because in the latest Xcode the path is /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform

Here are my specs:

- Monkey Pro 066 using ted
- Macbook Air with Mountain Lion
- XCode 4.5.2

Here's the transcript in full:

Any ideas? Thanks loads!

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#2]
[EDIT] This is not entirely resolved. See my next comment further down.

I got it to work by opening the project in xcode and running it in the simuator myself. Then after that Monkey runs it fine in the simulator, weird!

I'd never run the simulator before so I guess Xcode/Simulator must set up some kind of configuration/paths on first run. I deleted the monkey build and remade it and it worked fine.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#3]
I never got to compile ios games directly and always ended up opening them up in xcode.
If somebody has got it working (from command line) I would also be interested how that works.

For now you can just make an automator action to automate compiling.

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#4]
Looking over the trans code for the ios target, it seems Trans is expecting there to be a certain directory present and when the directory is not found, Trans aborts.

The expected directory, though, is not created until the ios simulator is run for very the first time.

This explains why it worked AFTER running the ios simulator via Xcode.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks DGuy, that explains it. Although today I noticed that when I compile in Monkey and the simulator launches, the game isn't running. I have to find it via the icons and then when I run it, it is an OLD version of the game i.e. the last one I compiled in XCode. That's a bit weird right? If I compile in Xcode it runs immediately in the simulator.

Any ideas?

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#6]
That is a behaviour that is there from the beginning of Monkey. Try to file a bug report for it. Maybe Mark can fix it.