Noob question - can't run newer versions of monk

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Noob question - can't run newer versions of monk

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#1]
Sorry if this is a stupid question - I'm really not a mac person.

I've got a few versions of Monkey under my Dropbox account - v56, v60 and v64.

On my Mac mini, I can browse to the different Monkey folders ok. If I go to the v56 folder, I can run Monk then compile stuff ok.

But on v60 and v64, when I run Monk, the application doesn't run. Instead, I see the monkey icon bouncing at the bottom of the screen (in the system bar or whatever that's called in Mac land). It bounces for a bit, and if I click on it, it disappears. As I can't run monk, I can't compile.

Maybe there's a simple way forward which me, being a mac noob, hasn't a clue about.

Can anyone help me?

Update: seems I can run monk from the command line, "open -a monk". But when I click on it from the Finder gui, I just get the bouncing monkey icon. Weird stuff..

Update#2: ok, I found I had to make the monk program (e.g. in monk.app/Contents/MacOS executable, by chmod +x monk at the command line). Now I can run monk.

..but I can't get it to compile anything - targets are blank.. what the hell? Can anyone help?

Ben(Posted 2012) [#2]
What did you use to extract it? I would suggest that you use the built in mac decompressor. Second question (after double checking what room I'm in) do you have xcode installed?

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi Ben,

This version was extracted under Windows, then stored in Dropbox, and accessed from my mac. I think this causes the problem.

Extracting on the mac, using the mac decompressor seems to work fine.

For the latest version of Monkey (v66), I've uncompressed on my mac, using the mac decompressor to my dropbox. Now I can access the same Monkey install from my mac or from Windows, and it works ok (I think).

Yep, Xcode is all installed and working (as far as I can tell.. Xcode is a very weird and wonderful(?) world). But I've used it to build a couple of apps without too many issues..

Regards,
Tom

TheRedFox(Posted 2012) [#4]
Last version is using Ted, not monk anyway.

Ben(Posted 2012) [#5]
Extracting under windows would cause a problem. Windows has no clue about permissions...

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#6]
@ben, yeah, that explains it all. Thanks for the help, guys