About to buy iPad 2 - newbie needs help

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/About to buy iPad 2 - newbie needs help

mulawa1(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I've successfully built my first IOS app and run it on the iPad emulator.

I'm about to buy an iPad so that I can test the app natively but I'm unsure if an iPad 2 will satisfy my needs - I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and XCode 4.2.

I hope to be able to just connect the iPad via USB and "see" the iPad in the same way I see the emulator - is this possible with an iPad 2?

TIA ... Peter

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Yes, the iPad2 is fine I did the same with an iPad 1 and an old iPod...

The ONLY thing which will stop you doing it is that you need to pay Apple $100 p/a for the iOS developer program. Without this license you will NOT be able to run your app on an iOS device.

mulawa1(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thank you for the Heads Up - I've already paid my $99 so I should be set to go.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#4]
Getting your prog running on your device with the latest xcode seems quite easy. Basically, plug in the ipad/ ipod, then select "developer" at the pop-up window, follow the various prompts.. then your device appears as an option in Xcode (the drop down where you selected the various simulators then includes your device as well..)

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#5]
I've already paid my $99 so I should be set to go

Do you mean the $99 to develop on your iMac? I think the iOS developer program is a separate thing and is another $99. That's what I've read, I have no experience with either of them.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yeah two different programs. One is the IOS Developer the other is an Mac Developer or something. Thats how they get you :).

mulawa1(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yes I noted the two options but I chose to register as an IOS Developer.

I can of course test my OSX builds directly on my iMac wihout any registrations.

Thanks for all the comments.

Peter

PS If you're interested in more details of my journey have a look at
http://mulawa.net/monkey/journal/jun12.html