iPhone 5 - new resolution?

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/iPhone 5 - new resolution?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

according to this: Comparing Apple iPhone 5 64GB vs. Apple iPhone 4S 64GB - Nine Reasons for the Apple iPhone 5 64GB - VERSUS IO

the iPhone 5 could have a bigger display (as expected) but a new resolution of 640 x 1136 px as well. Now that's interesting...

How would you deal with that? Will we have to start multi aspect ratio app development like for Android?

More photos: More Photos from Claimed Next-Generation iPhone Include Front Panel with Centered FaceTime Camera - Mac Rumors

arawkins(Posted 2012) [#2]
Well...it doesn't seem that much different from developing for ipad and iphone right now. There is a difference in aspect ratio, but it's not huge. I think what I would do is just crop slightly on the iphone 4 version, effectively sawing off the left edges of an 1136px wide game, which would only lose 88 pixels on each side. Might depend a little bit on the specific game though. In a UI heavy game, that 88 pixels might mean a lot.

Rex Rhino(Posted 2012) [#3]
If you are already developing for multiple aspect ratios (i.e Xbox 360, iPhone, PC and Mac, etc.), then it doesn't really make any difference.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#4]
Given how silent Apple is regarding any future updates of any of their devices, I'll believe it when I see it.

Qube(Posted 2012) [#5]
If Apple were to change the aspect ratio of the iPhone I'd be very surprised indeed. I do expect a 4" screen but using the same aspect ratio as the iPhone has had since it's launch.

If they do change aspect ratio then Apple is off down the fragmentation road and Jobs will be turning in his grave.

Galaxy613(Posted 2012) [#6]
This would surprise me if Steve Jobs was still alive. I expect big (and bad?) changes now that he's gone. If there's one thing you can say about Steve Jobs, he had his ideas and stuck to his guns.

But yeah, the iPad/iTouch already have different aspect ratios, if you didn't keep your code flexible then it's your fault.

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#7]
I think that 640x1136 resolution is against what Apple used to do. My guess is that new iPhone will have 1024x768 resolution. It will make it "art compatible" with old iPads and easily scalable from new iPads, while aspect conflict with old iPhones wouldn't be that bad (since it was already tested with iPad).

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#8]
It looks more and more evident that this will be indeed the new resolution. So about 16:9 instead of 3:2 with something like an additional navigation bar.

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#9]
There may also be a new smaller 7-inch iPad sometime this year. But that could just be rumor.