Streaming Video again...

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Streaming Video again...

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi, I am still trying to get video playing and have got this native code almost working:

void MPlayerStreamVideo( String URL )
{
NSString *videoURLString = URL.ToNSString();
NSURL *videoURL = [NSURL URLWithString:videoURLString];
MPMoviePlayerController *moviePlayer = [[MPMoviePlayerController alloc] initWithContentURL:videoURL];
[moviePlayer prepareToPlay];
[moviePlayer play];
}

Monkey Extern:
Function MPlayerStreamVideo(Url$)

It now compiles with error:

Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
"_OBJC_CLASS_$_MPMoviePlayerController", referenced from:
objc-class-ref in main.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386

Can any iOS experts help?? Thanks.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#2]
you'll need to link with the mediaplayer framework, add it to the xcode project.

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks Adam, I had added #import <MediaPlayer/MediaPlayer.h> to my native code file but had not added the framework in Xcode.

It now compiles without errors and runs, but nothing happens if I call MPlayerStreamVideo(Url$)...

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#4]
maybe you need to call

[moviePlayer play];

in every OnRender?

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#5]
I figured it would just pop up the mediaplayer and start playing... maybe I need to open a new subview?

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#6]
maybe yes, maybe not. i am almost sure it won't auto play for you just by calling "play". at least ffmpeg doesn't do that. read docs for MPlayerStream and apply them to Monkey and you're done :)

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#7]
Ok, I am getting close now, this native code streams the video on the mojo view at the frame size specified, but I need to find a way to stop it or detect when its finished and release it, any help would be great?

void MPlayerStreamVideo(String URL)
{
    //NSString *filepath   =   @"http://www.coppercircle.co.uk/big-buck-bunny-clip.m4v";
    NSURL    *videoURL    =   [NSURL URLWithString:videoURLString];

MPMoviePlayerController *moviePlayer = [[MPMoviePlayerController alloc] initWithContentURL:videoURL];

[moviePlayer.view setFrame:CGRectMake( 0, 0, 320, 220)];

[[[UIApplication sharedApplication] keyWindow] addSubview:moviePlayer.view];
	[moviePlayer play];
}

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#8]
Well this streams the video fullscreen and shows the done button which closes it and returns to your app, just need to do the same in Android now.

{
        NSURL    *videoURL    =   [NSURL URLWithString:videoURLString];

moviePlayer.fullscreen = YES;

[moviePlayer play];
}

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#9]
nice work, that is excellent news :)

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#10]
How did you make it close and return to your app? After I click done it stays on a black screen with the time and battery showing, rather than fullscreen monkey

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#11]
incase anyone wants to load the video from the data folder I quickly hacked this together from CopperCircle's code above:

void MPlayerPlayVideo(String FILE)
{
    NSString *videoString = FILE.ToNSString();
    NSString *videoURL = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"data/%@", videoString ];
    NSString *filepath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:videoURL ofType:@"m4v"];
    NSURL    *fileURL    =   [NSURL fileURLWithPath:filepath];

MPMoviePlayerController *moviePlayer = [[MPMoviePlayerController alloc] initWithContentURL:fileURL];

moviePlayer.fullscreen = YES;
    moviePlayer.shouldAutoplay = YES;
    [moviePlayer play];

}

Any idea how to implement notifications to remove the movePlayer.view and dealloc once playback has finished?

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hi, the fullscreen example does go back to the monkey screen for me but it should really release the movie. It needs to use notifications but I'm not sure how to get it to work:

[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] addObserver:self
          selector:@selector(moviePlayBackDidFinish:)
          name:MPMoviePlayerPlaybackDidFinishNotification
          object:moviePlayer];

- (void) moviePlayBackDidFinish:(NSNotification*)notification {

MPMoviePlayerController *moviePlayer = [notification object];

[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] removeObserver:self      
              name:MPMoviePlayerPlaybackDidFinishNotification
              object:moviePlayer];

if ([moviePlayer 
          respondsToSelector:@selector(setFullscreen:animated:)])
     {
              [moviePlayer.view removeFromSuperview];
     }
     [moviePlayer release];
}

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#13]
Anyone?

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#14]
I still can't get the notifications working for it to release the video, I really need this for a project I'm working on and could pay if someone could help?

Thanks.

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#15]
Im still trying and getting closer, still don't really know what I'm doing in Objective C but this now plays video and auto rotates and goes back to the Monkey screen. but then the Monkey app does not respond?
Not sure why the focus does not return...

{
    NSURL    *videoURL       = [NSURL URLWithString:videoURLString];
    MPMoviePlayerViewController *movieVC = [[[MPMoviePlayerViewController alloc] initWithContentURL:videoURL]autorelease];

UIViewController *view=app->appDelegate->viewController;
    [view presentMoviePlayerViewControllerAnimated:movieVC];

// Start playback
    [movieVC.moviePlayer prepareToPlay];
    [movieVC.moviePlayer play];
}

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#16]
Hooray it works, I wad being stupid and forgot my app had suspended when video starts, just added this to my monkey code and all works.

#MOJO_AUTO_SUSPEND_ENABLED="true"

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#17]
Damn, I was running the wrong Xcode code, it still doesn't respond after the video releases. The monkey is still running and can continue to draw/play audio just no touch response.

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#18]
That sounds exactly like the issue I had with Monkey and touches when I was integrating BFG lib. If you can, please send your project to Mark Sibly, as it will be something he can debug on. I could not send the full code to my game, as it was just to big.

The newest Monkey should have a trick that makes touches alive, but it's a dirty trick, not solving core issue.

And let us know which version of Monkey you are using.

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#19]
Hi anawiki, thanks for the reply, I was using Monkey v56 and the app would just not respond after playing a movie, I just tried Monkey v58 and now it crashes if there is a touch after playing the movie, so it is trying to respond to touches now.

crashes in xcode under gxtkInput:
		for( int pid=0;pid<32;++pid ){
			if( touches[pid] && touches[pid].view!=view ) touches[pid]=0;
		}

My iOS code is still this:
{
    NSURL    *videoURL       = [NSURL URLWithString:videoURLString];
    MPMoviePlayerViewController *movieVC = [[[MPMoviePlayerViewController alloc] initWithContentURL:videoURL]autorelease];

UIViewController *view=app->appDelegate->viewController;
    [view presentMoviePlayerViewControllerAnimated:movieVC];

// Start playback
    [movieVC.moviePlayer prepareToPlay];
    [movieVC.moviePlayer play];
}

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#20]
I tried the other night to get this working with notifications and did not get anything more working than what you have already posted. It would be awesome to have video functionality and it feels like its almost there!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#21]
Did anything happen with this, is it possible yet?

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#22]
I got it working, but it was quite a few versions of Monkey ago, it may not work now.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#23]
Would you be willing to share the working code?

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#24]
I don't have anytime at the moment but I will be getting SKN3 to make a new module soon to stream video on iOS and Android. I will release that to the community.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#25]
That sounds awesome, thanks for the reply. :)

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#26]
I just tried and you can achieve the same thing using the webview module and opening a video URL.

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5091#56818