No audio on iPad 3

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/No audio on iPad 3

Anatol(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I tested my app on an iPad 3 - it runs perfectly smooth with beautiful high res graphics - but no audio. Did anyone come across this issue before?

For iOS I'm using m4a files, sounds play with the usual mojo code
PlaySound(mySound, 0, 0)

The channel volume is 1.

Sound is fine on an iPad 1 and a rather old iPod, so I don't think it's an issue with the code.

Any insights or hints are highly appreciated.

Cheers!
Anatol

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#2]
There might be something here, because when I resumed my published game it didn't have sound, but restarting the game cured the issue. Now I can't reproduce the issue.

My game is made with Monkey 54b or so.

Anatol(Posted 2012) [#3]
[SOLVED]

(Reposted from the bug reports forum because that may not be permanent.)

OK, I'm almost embarrassed about the easy solution. It's not iPad 3 specific and it's not a bug either, just strange iPad user interface conventions and inconsistent behaviour across apps.

The iPad was in fact muted, but of course that was the first thing I checked when I didn't hear any sound initially.

Strange UI conventions: The iPad mutes in a way that when it is muted you can still change the volume and you see the volume bars go up and down, but it's still mute and doesn't give you any visual hint (all other systems I know of get out of mute mode when you change the volume).

Inconsistent app behaviour: I did try another app to check if sound is working at all, which happened to be YouTube. For whatever reason the YouTube app seems to be "exempt" from being muted. It plays sound just fine, even when mute is enabled, but other apps are silent. That confused me successfully and made me believe it's a Monkey issue.

A double-click on the home button and a slide to the left allowed me to properly "unmute" the iPad:

So eventually the whole issue was just a series of unfortunate "accidents".

I'm very glad, though, that the Monkey is not to blame.