App Size seems too large

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/App Size seems too large

Grover(Posted 2012) [#1]
Im quite puzzled at the moment. I have an ios and an android build of a monkey game we have made (BlockIT). The ios build is 14.7 MB in size and the android apk is 7.8 MB in size (both on disk). Whats going on? The code is almost identical, the data is the same, and it appears most of the size is going in the code build side of the IOS build.

Has anyone seen this, and know whats going on? My current guess is there is a tun of debugging info or something similar being included.
Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Grover(Posted 2012) [#2]
Ok. Sorry to respond to self, but after doing some digging it's getting even weirder than when I started looking at this.

My ios bin (without data) is around 7 MB!! This is crazy, when compared with my Android bin (without data) is less than 1 MB!! The data sizes (as expected) are roughly the same (within 200KB).

I have done some build modifications on the XCode gcc build options and reduced the bin 2 MB already. Going to chat with some OSX developer people to see what they know about this. Im suspicious that the iphone/ipad build includes multiple libraries in the bin where Android provides them as runtime callable.

Cheers,
Dave.

Rex Rhino(Posted 2012) [#3]
Let us know what you find out, the rest of us will be very interested. (and sorry, I don't have any advice, as I purchased Monkey because I don't know much about iPhone development).

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#4]
I'm not sure what Xcode compiles into the binary. I hope there is no version support for binaries that can increase file size behind your back.

Is your smaller binary also starting up faster than the bigger one. I always have the feeling that a monkey game takes forever to startup.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#5]
I do think that this is dependent on the platforms supported