Idiots guide for starting iOS and Monkey

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Idiots guide for starting iOS and Monkey

ENAY(Posted 2012) [#1]
Ok, I have my game, it is running in html5. I have a Mac next to me, I also have an ipad and iphone on my desk, I'm looking at XCode and I have all that developer licence stuff from Apple. So where do I start?

I haven't installed Monkey yet but I am presuming this is going to be like Unity where you compile for ios and then it makes a project in XCode or something like that right?

If there is an idiots guide (I am a big idiot) to getting started up on the Mac can someone point me in the right direction?

Soap(Posted 2012) [#2]
(Google = site:monkeycoder.co.nz + question)

1. Compile Monkey source
2. Compile/run in simulator

Optional:
a. Edit Xcode project to your needs
b. Setup provisioning profiles so that you can run the game on your device - use testflightapp.com, and ask Google if you can't figure out the provisioning profile stuff on your own
c. Compile/upload to iTunes App Store after setting up the game in iTunes Connect and then submit for approval

siread(Posted 2012) [#3]
This is a little list I wrote to remind me how to set up the project file in XCode 4. You need to have set up a bundle identifier and app in iTunes connect first.

-Build as Release in Monkey
-Open MonkeyGame.xcodeproj

Set your bundle identifier to the identifier you have set up in iTunes Connect...
-MonkeyGame>Info>Bundle identifier: com.companyname.appname

To set the name that is displayed under your icon on the device...
-MonkeyGame>Info>Bundle display name: App name

Adding GameKit for Leaderboards/Achievements...
-MonkeyGame>Frameworks>Build Phases>Link Binary With Libraries +
-Search for and add 'GameKit'
-Drag GameKit into Frameworks folder on left panel

Adding Icons...
Info on creating icons: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/IconsImages/IconsImages.html

Once you created all your icons add them to the project…
-MonkeyGame>Frameworks>Build Phases>-Copy Bundle Resources +(Select your icon pngs and check 'copy to destination' when prompted)
-Drag icons into Resources folder on left panel
-Make sure you remove .png from iTunesArtwork.png

Follow this info for adding icons into plist:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa1686/_index.html

If there's anything anyone else can add to this, do tell. :)

ENAY(Posted 2012) [#4]
Cheers for all the resources guys. Well I am surprised but it all compiled and worked first time after installing Monkey. I am really amazed how easy it was.

visionastral(Posted 2012) [#5]
"I am really amazed how easy it was."

Yeah, now try to test it on the real thing, the fun will begin... xD

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#6]
You have your game running in HTML5 and you don't have Monkey installed? Monkey doesn't convert any HTML5 to Xcode. You need to port your project to Monkey first.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
and you dont have Monkey installed

I read it as he has coded his game using windows in Monkey and it is running fine with HTML5, but he has yet to install Monkey on his Mac.