Strange ios problem

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Strange ios problem

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#1]
Ok, not sure how to explain.

On ios when I start my app sometimes when it starts, it runs very smooth and sometimes when it starts it runs jerky. But when my app is running and I press the home button and go back to my app again it runs smooth again and stays smooth. I don’t think it’s about performance and it’s not a specific Monkey version. Any ideas? It's almost like it's a sync problem.

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#2]
Now it seems that when the problem occurs on starting an app calling the SetUpdateRate () again most of the time also corrects the problem instead of pressing the home button and going back to the app.

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#3]
I usually get something similar when I forget to disable debug in monkey and xcode.

What version of iOS/OSX are you compiling on?

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#4]
After doing some research it looks like it's a vbl problem. The NSTimer used is not in sync with the vbl.

http://www.ananseproductions.com/game-loops-on-ios/

vsync is a musthave!

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well, I updated iOS to 5.0 and the problem got far worse! I doubt it's only on my iPhone. Doesn't anyone else have this experience??? I can't imagine. I have tested mojo with a modified timer (CADisplayLink instead of the NSTimer) and it looks like this is the solution. Game is running supersmooth on my iPhone now!