Slow on device

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Slow on device

siread(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi guys. I managed to build and test my app on an iPhone3GS but I'm only getting 7fps. It runs acceptably in the simulator (around 40fps) and is fine in HTML5/GLFW so I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. I compiled in release mode, and setting retina display and accelerometer to 0, but no joy.

I am beginning to suspect that designing the game with 960x640 assets and scaling it down to 480x320 using AutoFit might have been a mistake.

I will run some further tests tomorrow to try determine what is slowing things down but I wondered if there might be something obvious that I am missing.

skid(Posted 2011) [#2]
Just in case you hadn't seen it, this thread may have some clues:

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1730

siread(Posted 2011) [#3]
After a morning testing it seems to be something to do with the amount of data I load in. I have several text files containing about 1mb of football league data. When I load all of the data I see 7fps but if I load just the English clubs and competitions (at a guess around 10% of the data) I get much a higher frame rate (it fluctuates a bit but peaks at 60fps). I will run some more tests but ultimately I would like to be using the full database so this is quite an issue for me.

(Just realised that it's not just the 1mb of data I load but the 37,000 fixtures I create for the leagues that is the problem!)

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#4]
Also, make sure your build scheme for your device is set to "Release", it defaults to "Debug" which can slow your app right down when running on the device.

Dabz