Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2'

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2'

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#1]
When compiling samples I get a successful Translation, the simulator starts but then nothing happens.

I open xcode and build and I get this:

Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture 'i386'

I'm using iOS SDK 5 and Xcode 4.2

Anyone knows what it could be?

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#2]
Thats strange. What's the compiler set to in your projects build options?

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#3]
Don't know, but it looks suspiciously similar to BlitzMax problem.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#4]
Grrr...

Having some pretty serious 'issues' with Lion and AppStore.

Just tried to install xcode 4.2 via AppStore (the only way you can AFAICT), but it crapped out near the end with 'internal consistency error' or something equally enlightening.

Now, AppStore says xcode is installed so I can't update/download 4.2 again, but xcode is still at V4.1!

Roger Lockerbie(Posted 2011) [#5]
Tibit/Mark et al.

FYI I run Xcode 4.2/IOS5 SDK and I went and built Firepaint and it ran on the simulator fine. (albeit with the 'unused variable' warnings that others have noted.

Prior to delivering 4.2, I used all the uninstall scripts to remove all traces of 4.1/3.x as when I went to deliver 4.2 it was going to put it somewhere different which I didn't much like

Also be aware that installing Xcode from the app store didn't install it (at least for me), I had to manually run the install Xcode app after the download.

Hope that helps.

Roger.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hi,

> Also be aware that installing Xcode from the app store didn't install it (at least for me), I had to manually run the install Xcode app after the download.

Yep, found that just after making my last post - 'it just works' my arse!

However, I'm now stuck in some kind of 'provisioning' hell. I really, really don't understand all this certificate/provisioning/key-chain stuff in the slightest...

I generally resolve such issues by randomly clicking on 'update' and 'refresh' buttons in as many seemingly relevant apps I can find as possible, but this is proving to be a bit more challenging this time - 'it just works' my arse part 2!

dmaz(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'm now stuck in some kind of 'provisioning' hell.
I was too when I upgraded to 4.2 and ios 5. in the end I ended up revoking all my dev certs and starting over... stupid waste of time.

one problem I still have though is that I can't seem to deploy to my iphone 3 running 3.2 using xcode 4.2. it compiles fine but it just quits. solved it for now by running xcode 3.x along side 4.2. I think it's an architecture issue but I have it set to arm6 and 7. I'm not going to worry about that now though. I have no problems with my ios5 devices.

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#8]
I generally resolve such issues by randomly clicking on 'update' and 'refresh' buttons in as many seemingly relevant apps I can find as possible, but this is proving to be a bit more challenging this time - 'it just works' my arse part 2!
Yeah mark I know what you mean. I had the same problem.

@Tibit you never said which version of OSX you are using.

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#9]
Sorry I don't have the Mac here at home so I can't check now, but I know I haven't upgraded to Lion anyway, will let you know ASAP (in a few hours probably)

Anything else I should test or try while I'm at it?

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#10]
Anything else I should test or try while I'm at it?
Have you tried the "Validate Settings"

GfK(Posted 2011) [#11]
>>>However, I'm now stuck in some kind of 'provisioning' hell. I really, really don't understand all this certificate/provisioning/key-chain stuff in the slightest...

I didn't understand it either, but googling "how to build apps for ipad xcode 4" and suchlike revealed several tutorials on getting everything up and running. I got it all working and submitted Crime Solitaire to the app store with far less pain than i was told to expect.

If I can suss it out (and i really am still quite dense on the whole mac issue) then I'm sure a man of your calibre should have little trouble.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#12]
Hi,

I got it working by exporting/importing the 'developer profile' from Snow Leopard -> Lion.

Updating Snow Leopard XCode (which I did first) must have done something to the certificates/keys/provisioning that stopped things working on Lion, somehow.

> Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture 'i386'

Doesn't happen here on Snow Leopard or Lion - all seems fine.

It doesn't make a lot of sense anyway - i386 on iOS? Why would that be selected?

Sorry to ask....but have you deleted .build dirs?

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#13]
> Sorry to ask....but have you deleted .build dirs?
That is a good question I actually did not think about it, but I downloaded a new monkey release and was testing samples only :)

I'm using version 10.6.8 - EDIT (Latest version now)

I agree it does not make much sense.

I'll test a "Validate Settings", let you know how that turns out!

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#14]
It works now for some reason