Buying iOS hardware

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Buying iOS hardware

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
What's the best hardware to get for iOS development? I'm considering iPod, iPhone and iPad but which gen? It may not make sense for me to buy the latest models as I think I'd prefer to test on the lowest common denominator of each to ensure compatibility but realistically, what exactly would that be? Or am I better off just getting the latest models?

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#2]
I am asking myself the same question and maybe will buy an ipod touch 4G (newest model). On amazon you can get one for ~200€. Used models go as low as ~150€.

matt(Posted 2011) [#3]
With iOS 5 and new devices imminent I'd not choose anything other than a fully iOS 4 capable device.

Qube(Posted 2011) [#4]
I'd personally go for an iPad 2 (which I have) as you can test resolutions for iPad, iPhone 480x320 and iPhone 960x640.

Granted the iPad 2 is the fastest of the current iOS devices but keep in mind the iPhone 5 is due out this year with the iPad 3 next year. So the iPad 2 will not be the fastest device for long but still a good test bed for a good 18 months at least.

wiebow(Posted 2011) [#5]
Don't forget, you will also need an iMac to compile on. ugh.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
Don't forget, you will also need an iMac to compile on. ugh.
Yeah, I got one. :)

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#7]
so only IMac or MacBook can be used to compile ? iPad will not work ?

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#8]
No, you need a real Mac.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#9]
something like iMAC G5 POWERMAC could work ?

Uncle(Posted 2011) [#10]
I dont think powermac would work. If I remember correctly you need an Intel based Mac to compile to iDevices.

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#11]
I dont think powermac would work. If I remember correctly you need an Intel based Mac to compile to iDevices.

That's correct plus if I remember you have to be running Leopard 10.5.3 or greater.