Monk builds sample but doesn't run it on simulator

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Monk builds sample but doesn't run it on simulator

Waywards(Posted 2011) [#1]
In Monk, if I open a sample and 'Build and Run' for iOS, the sample builds, and will open the iPhone simulator, but the sample doesn't run. No app icon appears in the simulator.

I can open the xcode project Monk created and run the app on the simulator from Xcode.

This means I have to jump over to Xcode whenever I want to see stuff on the simulator.

I've tried a few different samples (BasicGame, Monkenstein, and Clock) and they all do the same.

I'm using Xcode 4.0.2 (uninstalled older version), and Monkey Pro v38.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my setup?

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#2]
Did you flip to the right app page on the simulator? The icon is usually white and on the right page, not the one that shows up when you start the simulator. You need to start the app by clicking on it, it doesn't start on its own.

Waywards(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yes, I did try flipping through the pages on the simulator to start the app manually, but Monk isn't creating an app icon, even though it says that the build succeeded.

Xcode creates a white icon named Monkeygame on the second page.

Waywards(Posted 2011) [#4]
Seems I've accidentally solved the problem.

I set Xcode's active scheme to 'iPad 4.2 Simulator' and then built and run it once in Xcode. Now I can build and run that sample and any other directly from Monk.

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hmm...I can't get anything I compile to run on the iPad or iPhone simulator. Tried your trick and still nothing. How come stuff just don't "work"...

Fixed it!

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#6]
How come stuff just don't "work"

imho, everything around XCODE is a biatch to work with. As Monkey is very open and so you needed to work with the target tools, it is one thing you have to fight and live with. I don't like it either but it is how it is.