retina display / standard

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/retina display / standard

Nixx(Posted 2011) [#1]
How do we detect this in monkey to swap out the media etc?

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#2]
DeviceWidth()
DeviceHeight()

Works on android.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#3]
You should always deliver two Image Files,

ImageName@...
ImageName.png

The @2x is for retina support and HD Games and Apps and the other File is the lowscaled version of the same Image.
So you should always design your Images as HD/Retina resoluted File (which is 960x640 Portrait / 640x960 Landscape) and finally scale it down for older Devices like IPhone 2/3 etc (which is 320x480 Portrait / 480x320 Landscape)
Just take your retina file and half size it and save it without the @2x tag!

Just scale your workspace and you can see how large your Buttons will be.
Dont start with a 320x480 Image and scale it up to Retina.. This will only result with a large file and no quality improvements.

iOS calculates all as 320x480. if it finds a @2x Retina File and the Device supports it, it will use that instead

xzess(Posted 2011) [#4]
Ok i tested it, 2x Images work like a charm!

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#5]
Just scale your workspace and you can see how large your Buttons will be.

Actually i'm wondering how exactly we do this since it states in the Docs that we can't set the screen size from mojo, but only from the native code itself?

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#6]
Call me stupid, but do you have to just specify the non@2x file when you load images, and IOS loads automatically the correct file, depending if the device has a retina display or not?

xzess(Posted 2011) [#7]
yes exactly mike.
UIImage's are handling this automatically

well i mean scale the workspace inside your graphic editor so all your images are resoluted for 960x640 in example

Aman(Posted 2011) [#8]
Isn't it better if you handle it manually in order for it to work with android devices too?

xzess(Posted 2011) [#9]
well i personally check for the target first, so i can leave it on ios and use it with @2x automatisation

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#10]
Thanks Xzess for the info.