OSX remote access / VM

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/OSX remote access / VM

Raz(Posted 2011) [#1]
So I understand you need a mac to compile mac products.

Does such a service exist where I can log into a remote OSX machine and do whatever I need/want for a bit? (So I can compile Mac stuff in this case?)

Failing that, can I (legally) run a VM instance of OSX?

Ta!

JIM(Posted 2011) [#2]
As far as I've found on the internet, OSX in a VM is not legal according to Apple. But that hardly seems to stop people who can't afford an Apple branded PC.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
I know it doesn't answer your question, but just to throw it out there: apple.com will sell you a refurbished Mac Mini with 1 year warranty for $599. :-?

Raz(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hahaha, I think I'll just go without building for Mac for a while ;)

jjsonick(Posted 2011) [#5]
I haven't tried it, but this article describes how to use two tools to control a remote Mac from a PC:
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/control_your_mac_pc

Vine Server is free, but it looks like the free version of VNC Viewer is too crippled to be of use (doesn't run on most recent Windows OSes, for example) -- but the VNC Personal version seems like it has the needed features for $30.

I might try this out myself with my work computer and my MBP at home.

jjsonick(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hmm, the discussion thread for that article also mentions this service:

https://secure.logmein.com/US/solutions/personal/control/

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
logmein allows you to remotely control our own computers -- but I gather the whole point of the initial quesiton is that he doesn't have his own mac, and was wondering if there is a service that rents them out to be connected to remotely

jjsonick(Posted 2011) [#8]
Oh, gotcha - I thought he had a friend who might be willing to allow a mac to be hi-jacked for short periods or something.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#9]
yeah this is purely because I do not have a Mac, so was almost looking for an over the internet rental type thing :)