Mac Mini

Monkey Targets Forums/iOS/Mac Mini

RetroRusty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

I know I need to buy a Mac before I can compile and test anything that I do in Monkey on the iPhone/iPad.

Is the Mac Mini suitable enough to do the job that I need it for? Mac's are expensive and I don't really have the money to buy anything other than a Mini. If it's not suitable, what Mac would I need to look at for this?

GW_(Posted 2011) [#2]
You could buy a Hackintosh

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#3]
The Mac Mini should be okay.

charlie(Posted 2011) [#4]
I use a Mac Mini. They're really great little machines actually!

Cheers
Charlie

RetroRusty(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks for the help. It looks as though that a Mac Mini will be good enough for what I need.

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#6]
I compile all my blizmax games on a MacMini and plan to use it for Monkey as well. So yes, it should work fine for you.

slenkar(Posted 2014) [#7]
what is the cheapest mac mini that can run the latest operating system?
do I NEED the latest operating system to compile iPhone games?
If I buy an older mac mini can I download the latest OS for free?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#8]
My mini is from 2012 and runs 10.9.2 just fine.

Pretty sure you do need the latest. That's the way they get you. I don't think I have paid for any upgrade or if I did it was around $20.

RDS(Posted 2014) [#9]
Mac OS X 10.9 is a free upgrade for anyone on 10.6.8 up...... Apple no longer charges for system upgrades.

I wouldn't get too old of a Mac Mini though... the new you can afford the better.

Snader(Posted 2014) [#10]
I went the Hackintosh kinda way and run a Mac inside Virtualbox. My projectsfolder can be reached from inside the virtualmachine. Not the fastest way on my 8 year old computer (although it was really really fast 8 years ago), but it gives me a way to build and submit the IOS versions of my apps.

Midimaster(Posted 2014) [#11]
Don't buy old 10.6 Mac Minis!
I had a old Mac Mini 10.5 once updated to 10.6. I could not produce monkey app with target IOS on it. And it was not possible to update it to 10.9 and to the latest XCode!

So I had to buy a new one now with 10.9. Monkey works perfect on it and the XCode too. The IOS Simulator works as fast as a real device. Really good decicion...

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#12]
Snader wrote:
I went the Hackintosh kinda way and run a Mac inside Virtualbox.

Do you use 10.9 ? I find it is very unstable under the VB. 10.8.x is a bit stable but it isn't fast (10.9 either) on my i7 based notebook.

Midimaster wrote:
And it was not possible to update it to 10.9 and to the latest XCode!

It's possible, but requires actions like to Hackintosh installation.