Sound issues and screen stuttering...

Monkey Targets Forums/HTML5/Sound issues and screen stuttering...

Jello Fox(Posted March) [#1]
I've made progress on my build of my game project, I have it running in html5.. However I have 2 issues that are bugging me.

1. Sound wont play.... I have been looking around for ways to figure out what I have done wrong but I'm clueless.. So.. Help!!

I use Google Chrome as my browser type.. i noticed another sound based topic however the answer given there confused me.

2. The screen likes to stutter, even tho I have it set to either update 60 times a second or set to 0 so its automatic.. neither solves this issue of my star map stuttering as it moves in the background..

here is a link to my demo.. please do not distribute any of the files.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_goHREeXMoWTVdOamVoal9qUFk

Soap(Posted March) [#2]
Change the audio files to ogg. You can use Audacity to save exported versions then test again.

I'm not sure about the stuttering, but you could try testing Mungo or setting up a custom webgl target on your own. There are some instructions in this post: https://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=3276&post=91178 It's been a while since I messed with it but I remember webgl builds having much more stable fps.

Jello Fox(Posted March) [#3]
I found out that my mp3 files are working, just not in chrome.... If I open up the demo in internet explorer they work fine.. I'll try the ogg method..

As for the stuttering I'll try making the code a bit more efficient..

Soap(Posted March) [#4]
Different browsers support different formats. You could test using WAV for your sound effects too. Audio support in general in the browser sucks. What we used to do is use flash swfs as a proxy to play sound effects, but now that flash is being forcibly killed that's no longer a viable solution.

Jello Fox(Posted March) [#5]
Well that makes things more complicated..... Thank you for this information. I guess I'll have to setup versions of the game for Chrome and such , then give people the option to choose...

Jello Fox(Posted March) [#6]
Changing the files to ogg did not fix the issue, in fact it made is to internet explorer refused to play them. .wav did nothing either..

I've gone back to mp3 and am looking for a solution that fixes chrome, as that is the only browser having issues.

skid(Posted March) [#7]
I'm not sure of everything I read on the internet but this thread is quite interesting:

I poked around some more on the internet and discovered the answer. Apparently, Chrome won't play mp3s over 2:00 unless they have the artist's name encoded with them.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/vmuTO3xeymI

Jello Fox(Posted March) [#8]
Thats interesting, however my sound files are less than 5 seconds each.. I'll try adding artist names and such but I doubt that is the issue.
I'm running into another issue with some screen effects now, but that may be just a goof on my part..

Jello Fox(Posted March) [#9]
ok.. screw html.. I'm switching to desktop.. fixes all my problems..