Hosting html5 on dropbox

Monkey Targets Forums/HTML5/Hosting html5 on dropbox

Pakz(Posted 2015) [#1]
I saw that somebody on this forum (nullterm) had a html5 game on dropbox. You could play the game that way. I tried to put a html5 game in my account myself but it seems it does not work. Is this hosting only for registered users? Am I missing something?

Here's hoping that it is possible to host there as a free user.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#2]
You just make an account, and you get free storage. You can also get extra space by referring others. You can of course pay for more space, but I personally don't need it.

You should just be able to link to it, like this. On Windows at least, it adds an option to the right-click menu. Just make sure you upload the "data" folder, and the "main.js" file (Along with the page you're displaying it on; "MonkeyGame.html").

Pakz(Posted 2015) [#3]
It does not work. I get a standard dropbox screen when I copy the link in the browser. There is a open button on that page which brings you to a dropbox folder. I have the files in a folder on my dropbox account. Maybe new users can not host anymore?

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#4]
I'm actually getting this problem when linking it normally. Try right clicking on the file on DropBox's website, then click "Copy public link...". That should work.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#5]
The files need to be in the Public folder.

\My Dropbox\Public

I'm not sure if new accounts can do that. Old accounts can for sure.

Pakz(Posted 2015) [#6]
I tried putting the files in a public folder that I created. Same thing. I get a default page where you can choose to do things with the file. The html5 page does not load in the browser so no games. Getting the link from out of the website from dropbox takes me to the same default window.
The links are also different from the links with working html5 games that are on dropbox.

I have a new account so it probably got canned.

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#7]
@Pakz

You need to enable dropbox public folder first. Try this link to enable dropbox public folder: https://www.dropbox.com/enable_public_folder

It may not be free anymore though. But anyway, give it a try.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#8]
Yeah Dropbox used to come with a public folder by default but they removed it, and I guess for those who are new to dropbox its now something you need to turn on.

Salmakis(Posted 2015) [#9]
as far as i know, they deactivated this feature to all accounts wich has ben created after a specific date.
sadly