Ogg Music Loops have large gap in Firefox

Monkey Targets Forums/HTML5/Ogg Music Loops have large gap in Firefox

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all, I've got the music for my game in 3 formats: .wav for .exe, .mp3 for Flash and .ogg for HTML5.

However I notice that when I play a looped ogg file in the HTML5 build in Firefox there's a big delay after it finishes before it starts again. About 500ms.

I've tried two different programs to make the oggs but same result.

I've searched this forum for more info but can't find anyone else with this problem. It can't be just me right or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Html5 still has many issues on different browsers, that's why I see it as a prototype platform. I'm sure in a few years it'll be better, but not yet...

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#3]
Bummer. So have you seen that issue too?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#4]
I don't know about that specific issue but audio in html5 is just generally broken across browsers. It's not just a matter of the differing support for compression formats (although FF is apparently going to allow playback of MP3 if the platform supports it soon) but the playback for what they do support isn't reliable.

Nearly all the wisdom out there about this says to use a library with Flash fallback. Actually it's more accurate to say that the recommendation is to use a library that defaults to Flash and falls back to HTML5.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#5]
Wow HTML5 (or rather the support of it) is so lame. How horrible. To be honest the only place I wanted to post the game anyway was this site.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#6]
Well HTML5 spec hasnt been finalised yet anyway ;)

To be honest the only place I wanted to post the game anyway was this site.

Its annoying, but I wouldnt worry about the sound issues and just hope it'll be fixed in later browser versions.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#7]
I always do testing in HTML5 due to it loads fastest and you know if it works in HTML5 then it's going to work on every other platform (and faster).

Does anyone really use Firefox anymore???