Some newbie questions about HTML5 :-)

Monkey Targets Forums/HTML5/Some newbie questions about HTML5 :-)

Winter Wolves(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm going to start using monkey in next month but I have some newbie HTML5 questions:
1) let's say I have a game with various data. If the user has already downloaded the assets (JPG, OGG, etc) and I change only the code/JS, the browser cache will remember the asset and every new "update" I make the users won't need to redownload also the assets, right?
2) is there any way to hide a JPG from being publicly accessible except from monkey/JS itself ? for example a special image that is a reward for the player, but I don't want anyone to be able to see it by manually typing the URL in the browser?

Thanks!

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
1. You can't know what a user's cache will do but, in general, if you don't update the file and they haven't cleared their cache then it shouldn't be downloaded again.

2. You could block access based on whether the user is logged in or has an active session or similar. You're not going to stop someone just grabbing the file when they see it in game and viewing it/redistributing at their leisure though.

Winter Wolves(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks for the replies! yes I'm aware they can redistribute the image anyway, that is the same as using print-screen or a screen-grabbing program in a normal download, but at least people can't just link to a straight URL from my site :D