Apache Flex SDK install Locks when verifying MD5

Monkey Targets Forums/Flash/Apache Flex SDK install Locks when verifying MD5

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have been trying to get Flash builds for Monkey to work for the last two days so I thought I better ask for help.

I have followed Marks instructions exactly but when I run the installer it downloads then says "Verifying SDK MD5 signature" but all I see is the circle going round and round.

So I tried manually unzipping "apache-flex-sdk-4.12.0-bin" and set trans config file to correct path.

I see Build Flash Game option in Monkey IDE but get the following error:

Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Loading configuration file C:\flex\frameworks\flex-config.xml
Apache Flex Compiler (mxmlc)
C:\flex\frameworks\flex-config.xml(85): Error: unable to open '{playerglobalHome}/11.1'
Version 4.12.0 build 20140303

Copyright 2013 The Apache Software Foundation.
</library-path>

TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'mxmlc -static-link-runtime-shared-libraries=true MonkeyGame.as', return code=1
Done.

PS: (JDK is installed and config path is correct)
(Ant installed at: C:\apache-ant-1.9.3 and config file set accordingly)

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
So I tried manually unzipping "apache-flex-sdk-4.12.0-bin" and set trans config file to correct path.
It requires a bit more work than just installing apache-flex-sdk-4.12.0-bin. First you need ant to be installed and it's location set in the environment variables. You need to go to the Flash Player downloads and get the file PlayerGlobal.swc. This file has to be placed in a directory /frameworks/libs/player/xx.x (xx.x is the version number of the Flash Player). The {playerglobalHome} is found in the file named flex-config.xml in the frameworks directory and is meant to represent a environment variable in your system PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME that you must add. You can replace the instances of {playerglobalHome} with libs/player. So when the script is called, this needs to be changed <target-player>11.1</target-player> in the flex-config.xml file to the playerglobal.swc version you have downloaded so it can be used. To install the other dependencies you need ant to be accessible from the command line. In the frameworks directory, there is a file named thirdparty-downloads; this is what you need to run with ant, you will then be asked yes/no for license and installs.
Here how I did it in Linux.

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks my Monkey Help makes no mention of all this, I just used instructions provided in Monkey/IDE/Help

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#4]
The Monkey Help wont give you this information. On windows, Mark has just gone for the easiest install method. The Android SDK installer needs you to a an environment variable to your system which you don't need unless you intended to use other tools than Monkey. You can get the Android SDK as a zip file in the section Other system (or what ever the link is called). You should always read the installation guides that you get with the SDK. Oh and sometime the "Verifying SDK MD5 signature" does take some time.

Edit: Here are some revised install instructions. But you should read the bit's I added as well.

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#5]
I have created a system environment variable: PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME
and set it to "libs\player" and created a folder "player/11.1" in libs directory so full path is:
C:\flex\frameworks\libs\player\11.1
here is located: playerglobal.swc

Still same error message, Setting up this stuff is harder than writing games !!!

The instructions that are in the IDE leave a lot to be desired.

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#6]
SUCCESS ! after rebooting computer it now works.

The steps required to get it working:

1. Create Environment Variable: PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME = "player\11.1"

Create the folders in "flex\frameworks\libs" that is "player" then in "player" folder called "11.1"

then download "playerglobal.swc" and put that in the new folder

Then reboot computer, funny I cant find such instructions anywhere before ?

I am now a full fledged "Monkey" ? and can now use the compiler, only took 3 days to figure out....

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#7]
SUCCESS ! after rebooting computer it now works
If you added the variables via you user account you wouldn't need to reboot, just log out and back in. I think I will have to do another of My Rough Guides that will cover Windows Vista/7 and OSX 10.9.