This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.

Monkey Targets Forums/Flash/This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#1]
on my MacBook, I keep getting this error when trying to compile for flash.

This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
Please install the desired version.

I was using it previously to this week fine without any problem.
can't recall doing any changes to the latest version of flex or java .

anybody have any idea?

I also have the latest jave update which is only 64 bit and is the only one available for mac Lion. 10.8.2

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#2]
figured it out. Thanks.

I guess a file got modified when I updated java through the install update.

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#3]
What did you do to fix this?!?

It's just started happening here...

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#4]
I ended up having to edit flex_sdk/bin/mxmlc...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13302427/mxmlc-in-flex-sdk-4-5-doesnt-work-on-mac-os-10-8

Seems to relate to latest version of Java not supporting a 32-bit mode any more.

Any tidier solution?

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#5]
yes, thats how I first fixed it. and yes the new java version defaults to 64-bit but it still does support 32-bit mode and it's integrated.

I did as you did but it locked me out of Mochi Media. Mochi Media API works only with 32-bit compiled apps. so I went hunting Google for a solution. and I learned that you can add the parameter to compile for 32-bit to the jave parameters.

and this is what you need to add:
-swf-version=13

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#6]
> -swf-version=13

Where do I add this? To the mxmlc cmd line?

I added it there and rebuilt trans, but I still appear to need the D32='-d32' bit in mxmlc commented out or I get the 'does not support a 32-bit JVM' error.

I'm on 10.8.2 + latest Java 7 update (probably the problem).

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#7]
comment out the lines as suggested in your #4 post and add the -swf-version=13 to the end of the java parameters in the mxmlc file like this:

java $VMARGS $D32 $SETUP_SH_VMARGS -jar "$FLEX_HOME/lib/mxmlc.jar" +flexlib="$FLEX_HOME/frameworks" "$@" -swf-version=13

I don't know if there is a better way but I did this by trial and error.

[edit]

and that's for the latest version of java.

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#8]
And...unbeknowenst to me, flex is now an apache thing!...

http://flex.apache.org/

In downloads, there's one of those installer installers which I've used to successfully install flex 4.9 (plus associated bloat).

This fixes the 32 bit Java issue too (and is a more recent version of flex of course) - just make sure to install the sdk to somewhere like $HOME/flex_sdk_4.9 (it asks you when you install) and add the install location to your bin/config_macos.txt file.

No flex 4.9 for Linux though?

There are binaries...but flex never used to need binaries (hence the Java headaches) so what's up there?