MonkeyGame.swf opens an app file in MacOSX

Monkey Targets Forums/Flash/MonkeyGame.swf opens an app file in MacOSX

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#1]
On MacOSX using Monkey v.66 and Ted, I typed in cometCrusher from Chapter 4 of the book Monkey Game Development - Beginners Guide. It successfully release built and played in HTML5 then I tried in Flash. I downloaded the Flex SDK and moved the folder to my home directory which is the default path location in the Monkey Mac OS config file. Upon first build attempt, Monkey displayed a message saying Java required SE 6 and asked if I wanted to update which I did. All subsequent release build attempts result in the following...
...MServer dialog opens
...a blank untitled webpage is opened in Safari
...MonkeyGame.swf file appears in the download folder
Running the file results in running the file Machinarium.app which is located in an Applications folder in my home directory. Machinarium is a game I installed from my Steam account and possible a Flash based game. While Machinarium is a great game; the game I'm expecting to see is an Asteroid clone. Thanks for your help!

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
Do you have the flash player installed?

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks Mike!

I downloaded the latest Flash player from Adobe for Mac OS X and Safari. I was able to play MonkeyGame.swf by dragging it onto the blank Safari page. And I have since assigned Safari as the default app to open swf files.

When built, MonkeyGame.swf is placed in the download folder. Is there a config file to change the name and location (Monkey MacOS text file does not seem to be what I want)?

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
That is weird. On my system, Trans places it inside the corresponding build folder with an html file. Which flex version did you install?

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#5]
I installed the latest release version of flex_sdk from Adobes site, 4.6. I can live with it making a copy of the swf in the downloads folder. I checked the corresponding build folder and discovered MonkeyGame.html, MonkeyGame.swf, MonkeyGame.as, and other files.

Launching the html file I was able to play the swf file. I tried editing the html file with textedit but the file is locked. I assumed I can rename the swf file and change the reference in the html file if need be.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#6]
Ok, just tested. Since the update of Mountain Lion, this happens on my system (Flex 4.5.1).

It builds all the files in the build folder, starts with an empty HTML page. When you click on the HTML file in the buidl folder, it runs correctly.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#7]
Ok, I foudn out that .swf files wee opened by default by a different app instead of Flash player. After I changed that with on file (Edit Info), it works now fine out of Monkey.

Armoured(Posted 2013) [#8]
MikeHart what is the path of your flash player?

Thanks

Pengwin(Posted 2013) [#9]
@MikeHart

I am experiencing the same problem with Flash builds. What did you mean by "After I changed that with on file (Edit Info), it works now fine out of Monkey. "?

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#10]
In OSX you can set the app which opens a file when you click on that. Go into the file info and set it there.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#11]
That is weird, I've been having that same problem lately. I sat the open with file setting to Safari in the info but it still does that. it just wont open it. It just downloads it. I have to click on the html file or the swf file then it will load and play.