flash chrome suddenly slow

Monkey Targets Forums/Flash/flash chrome suddenly slow

svero(Posted 2012) [#1]
So.. I wrote the start of this game a few weeks ago.. And it was nice and smooth when it played. I have the test stuff coming up in Chrome by default.

Recently I loaded up the project which I haven't looked at in a few weeks as I was on other stuff, and ran the same game from the same code and now it stutters in chrome. The old build stutters now too. I tried it in internet explorer and it's still smooth there. It's just stuttering under chrome all of a sudden.

I fear chrome auto updated and they mucked some flash speed thing up... But does anyone have any other suggestions about what might be going on and how I might fix it? Has anyone noticed anything similar recently?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
Flash has been running slow for me for while. It's not a target I use a lot so I hadn't checked to see if it was a Chrome thing but I just did and Firefox is noticeably faster. I can't say I've noticed other Flash games being much slower though. I'll see if I can find a suitable test on Newgrounds or similar later.

elMismoPancho(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'm having the same problem here, with the latest update of google chrome flash started to run very slow when drawin a lot of images (text). In firefox the same game runs perfect. Please mark, check it out. I tried with the version 60 of monkey, going to test with 61b now,

mr_twister(Posted 2012) [#4]
I *think* I found something that may fix some issues with the performance of flash games/apps in Google Chrome:

Go to chrome://plugins/
(paste that URL in the Google Chrome URL bar)

Click on +Details
If there are multiple versions of the Flash plugin (in my case I had 3) disable the older ones, then try to run a flash game/app again.

Please let me know if that fixes the issue or improves the performance for you guys.

mr_twister(Posted 2012) [#5]
At first I thought that perhaps Chrome was running all of those plugins at the same time for any embedded swf file and that was causing the slowdown (so actually leaving any of those enabled would suffice to fix the issue), however looking further into the problem I found that the three versions are actually three different plugins (from different vendors) and it seems like Chrome uses any of them as it sees fit (so it's not as simple as disabling all but one).

One of them is the original Google Chrome Flash Plugin (gcswf32.dll), which runs just fine.

In my browser there's also the one made by Macromedia (NPSWF32_11_3_300_270.dll), you can recognize it because it's most likely to be located in system files\Macromed\Flash\ and of course, using that plugin yields to no problem at all.

The problem lies with the "new" Chrome plugin for flash content: PepperFlash (\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll) which seems to be glitchy and slow as hell. Disabling that plugin alone fixes performance issues.

So, long story short: You should be OK using either the classic flash plugin for Chrome or the one by Macromedia. Stay away from pepperflash.