Loading progress bar...while downloading

Monkey Targets Forums/Flash/Loading progress bar...while downloading

matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

Some of my flash (& html5 for that matter) apps are between 4-9 MB in size and as such can take a minute or so to download...depending on connection speed.

Is there a way to show something other than a blank white area on the web page ... some sort of progress bar, while waiting to download the flash file?

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#2]
monkey is single threaded as far as i know

Volker(Posted 2011) [#3]

I just load my loading screen in OnCreate and load the other stuff (of course only once) in OnUpdate. Works good on every platform.

See here: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1080#9360

Rixarn(Posted 2011) [#4]
@Volker, Don't you have to actually download the .swf file to run it? Since flash files are embedded with the media... I'm not sure if you'll start to see something before those 4-9MB are downloaded. Besides,i believe the Loading part of the images (not the downloading one) is the one that's migrated from OnCreate to OnUpdate.

matty(Posted 2011) [#5]
AS Rixarn says - the issue is the actual download of the swf file - not the loading during execution. It takes time to download the actual swf and all the user sees is a white box - I'd like to be able to have some kind of message at least to the user that the flash program is downloading....

Rixarn(Posted 2011) [#6]
I'm not an actionScript coder, but i belive you should google for "SWF Preloaders" or something like that.I think it's a way to show a "progress bar" while your actual swf downloads.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#7]
Correct Rixarn. I forgot.
One way could be faking the progress bar with javascript.
The preloaders I found were only for video, and Actionscript
contains commands how much of the video is loaded, which monkey hasn't.

JD0(Posted 2011) [#8]
If you just need a basic preloader you could use mochimedia's updater.. it adds a preloader.. however, this will automatically show mochimedia ads unless you specify that you don't want the ads to show on the site the flash file is on. If you are on a site that you specify not to show ads on then you just see a preloader bar.

matty(Posted 2011) [#9]
hi JD0 - I'm not sure that will work. My issue is not the loading of content once within the flash file, but the actual download of the flash file to the user's PC...I think...unless that is what mochimedia handles.

aonyn(Posted 2012) [#10]
Hi All,

I know this is an old topic, I just happened though to find a preloader solution that may interest someone here, so I am posting here since it is on topic with the discussion.

http://www.zedia.net/2008/the-right-way-to-do-a-preloader-in-as3/

Of course this solution is actionscript, and is a separate swf that loads the monkey swf. I have not tried yet, but it looks like a good solution.
If anyone needs a good actionscript ide, I recommend try http://www.flashdevelop.org/

regards,
Dave

Fly-Games(Posted 2012) [#11]
I think the correct look in the direction of Adobe flex and preloader.