Visual Studio Community

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Visual Studio Community

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#1]
Any idea if Monkey-x can use visual studio community to compile its desktop apps?

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#2]
After trying, it looks like a "no"!

dopeyrulz(Posted 2015) [#3]
In the past you've needed to upgrade the project in VS after the first attempted compile - usually ran ok from then on.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#4]
In the past you've needed to upgrade the project in VS after the first attempted compile - usually ran ok from then on.

Just tried this with monkey 84e and it seems to be working ok for me here with the GLFW target (haven't tried glfw+angle). Opened the .sln file (\buildv84e\glfw3\msvc\MonkeyGame.sln) in Visual Studio and said the project was out of date and needed updating. Clicked yes, and now it compiles straight from Jungle IDE no problem.

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#5]
Got this working now with Monkey86a. All is good, thanks.

My original issue was forgetting to add the monkey config to point to the new MSBuild like so...

MSBUILD_PATH="${PROGRAMFILES}\MSBuild\14.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe"

Is there a way to make monkey auto use the newer version without the need to update the project, I guess if I was going to do this it would need to be done in target/glfw3/ folder somehow.

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#6]
Figured it out...

Edit the MonkeyGame.vcxproj

on the 2nd line alter...
<Project DefaultTargets="Build" ToolsVersion="12.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
to
<Project DefaultTargets="Build" ToolsVersion="14.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">

and further down alter
<PlatformToolset>v120</PlatformToolset>
to
<PlatformToolset>v140</PlatformToolset>
(in two places for debug and release builds)

Now when compiling a new monkey project I am now not prompted to update the project.

Next issue I have now is that Glfw3+Angle throws errors and prevents building.

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#7]
Compiling a Glfw3+Angle program with Visual Studio Community 2015 I get....

Build FAILED.

"E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (default target) (2) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
..\main.cpp(3370): error C2065: 'GL_PROJECTION': undeclared identifier [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3370): error C3861: 'glMatrixMode': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3371): error C3861: 'glLoadIdentity': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3372): error C3861: 'glOrtho': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3373): error C2065: 'GL_MODELVIEW': undeclared identifier [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3373): error C3861: 'glMatrixMode': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3374): error C3861: 'glLoadIdentity': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3376): error C2065: 'GL_VERTEX_ARRAY': undeclared identifier [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3376): error C3861: 'glEnableClientState': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3377): error C3861: 'glVertexPointer': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3379): error C2065: 'GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY': undeclared identifier [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3379): error C3861: 'glEnableClientState': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3380): error C3861: 'glTexCoordPointer': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3382): error C2065: 'GL_COLOR_ARRAY': undeclared identifier [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3382): error C3861: 'glEnableClientState': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]
..\main.cpp(3383): error C3861: 'glColorPointer': identifier not found [E:\Temp\breakout.buildv86a\glfw3_angle\msvc\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
16 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:02.84
TRANS FAILED: Error executing '"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe" /p:Configuration=Debug', return code=1
Done.

Any ideas?

For the record, without Angle (Glfw3) works.

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#8]
Aha, found this post.

In a nutshell, I was/am trying to compile a mojo(1) game in glfw3+Angel and at this moment this is not possible (maybe change in the future?).

So need to use glfw3+Angle for mojo2 based monkey programs!

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#9]
@Shagwana: It's possible, but you do need to use Mojo 2 as a backend.