What is GLFW3+Angle?

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/What is GLFW3+Angle?

Arjailer(Posted 2015) [#1]
I'm coming back to Monkey after a year or so hiatus (last version I used was 82a) and I'm wondering what the new GLFW3+Angle target is?

I know what GLFW3 is, but what is Angle? It's not mentioned in Versions.txt and I can only find passing references in the forum, mostly related to build problems. And googling for the word "angle" isn't much use either :-) The nearest I could find is https://code.google.com/p/angle/ but that looks defunct.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#2]
ANGLE stands for "Almost Native Graphics Layer Engine", it's an OpenGL-to-DirectX wrapper. The new target is for existing code using Monkey's OpenGL module(s). By extension, this also means the new Mojo 2 module (Which uses OpenGL - Mojo 2 free to "Pro" users) is also able to take advantage of ANGLE. Basically, this is an easy way to let you develop with OpenGL, use GLSL for shaders, and still have solid driver support on Windows. Though vendors like Nvidia and AMD/ATI have great support for OpenGL today, a lot of older systems, along with most systems running Intel integrated/on-chip graphics, don't have proper OpenGL drivers. So, ANGLE just lets Mojo 2 and OpenGL games use DirectX as a backend.

The target in question was discussed here previously. Google Code is shutting down soon, but here's the project's page.

Arjailer(Posted 2015) [#3]
That sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the info :-)

(I had seen the linked discussion, but it was just about build problems and doesn't mention what Angle actually is).